You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
Power Watchdog - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Electrical (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Power Watchdog (/showthread.php?tid=7942)

Pages: 1 2

Power Watchdog - Jonestead - 04-07-2024

Looking to tap into the braintrust here.
I plan to hardwire install a watchdog. 
Why some may ask!?! 
Well, I have one and it will allow me the extra Bluetooth power monitoring that I do not have. 
Have to, no. Want to, yes

So my question is a pro/con of installing before or after the existing Surge Guard ATS?

RE: Power Watchdog - Richard - 04-08-2024

Hmmmmmmmm, doesn’t the watchdog have surge protection? If it does, yank the surge guard out and put the watchdog in its place.

RE: Power Watchdog - Jonestead - 04-08-2024

(04-08-2024, 04:28 AM)Richard Wrote:  Hmmmmmmmm, doesn’t the watchdog have surge protection? If it does, yank the surge guard out and put the watchdog in its place.
It does but only surge protection with Bluetooth power monitoring. the Surge Guard does double duty as auto transfer switch so i wasnt looking at replacement.
With both there would be surge redundancy but I see that only as a unnecessary benefit. 

My thought installing it after the Surge GuardATS would really only be Bluetooth monitoring of genset as well...unless I am missing something

RE: Power Watchdog - Richard - 04-08-2024

Ahhhhhh. I have had a surge guard installed both ways relative to the ATS. I definitely preferred to only have the device on incoming power.

Why, every once in a while when starting up the gen, the surge guard would chatter a bit, which is not good for the genset controller.

RE: Power Watchdog - RussWhite - 04-09-2024

I have my Watchdog upstream of the ATS. This is also the configuration for a similar device when I had the Newell. My reasoning is this: Everything is subject to failure at some time. Should the Watchdog fail and be installed downstream of everything I no longer have the generator as a backup. Also I believe the generator power to be more transient free than some random power post to which I may be connected. YMMV

RE: Power Watchdog - Jonestead - 04-09-2024

Thx for the feedback, before the ATS it is

RE: Power Watchdog - rvguy - 04-11-2024

We have the power watchdog.  We did not hardwire in the system. Issues in my opinion will come from the poll and not the gen.  Bluetooth is awesome  specially if you have dogs and have to leave them inside while ya run out for a bit. Can monitor the amp draw when the ac units are on. JMO.  Plus using at the poll makes it way more easier to replace if something goes wrong.

RE: Power Watchdog - RussWhite - 04-11-2024

Okay I am a bit confused. Your post seems to indicate you can monitor the data from the Watchdog while you are away from the coach. Bluetooth has a very short range and I am not sure how you are doing this, but would sure be interested.

RE: Power Watchdog - rvguy - 04-12-2024

wifi

RE: Power Watchdog - RussWhite - 04-12-2024

My bad - it’s wifi but the question still remains. It is generally accepted that WiFi is good for 150’ indoors and 300’ outdoors. How are you able to communicate with the Watchdog over long distance?