You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus
High engine & transmission temperatures - Printable Version

+- Newell Gurus (https://newellgurus.com)
+-- Forum: Technical Discussions (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Engine and Transmission Monitoring Systems (https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: High engine & transmission temperatures (/showthread.php?tid=897)

Pages: 1 2 3

High engine & transmission temperatures - Chester Stone - 07-12-2013

This posting is to report my recent experience traversing the mountains in southern Oregon and northern California. My Silverleaf normally shows the engine water temperature at 188 degrees and the transmission a few degrees higher. Crossing these mountains, the engine reached 214 and the transmission 237, which seems very high. Interestingly, the transmission increased going down the mountain with the Jake on. My transmission manual states that there is not a problem when the temperature is less than 250, and this may be higher since I use synthetic. My engine manual does not state a maximum temperature, but I suspect it is around 220 or 225. I anyone knows the answer, please post.

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - bikestuff - 07-12-2013

Chester,

I also have had questions like yours. I normally run 188 and 205 on engine and transmission respectively. But on occasion especially when traveling in hot areas, those temps seem a little higher. More like 210 and 215. When the transmission gets to a certain temp (I think mine is around 215) the transmission cooling fans kick in and move the temps back down to 210 or so.

The transmission cooling fan as I understand it is located in front of engine. (Mine is a CAT C-12 so might be a little different). Anyway I had it tested at Newell and they said everything was fine.

Do you see a steady rise and then a flattening off and then a decrease? If so your cooling fan is probably working as expected.

Others might want to jump in here and offer more informed opinions! Smile

Cheers,
bill

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - qcj - 07-12-2013

Chester, The way I understand it is the engine cooling fan doesn't kick on until the temperature goes over 210. I was told this a Newell. I told a teck. at Newell that I had, ever so often, a slight nudge in steering wheel and he said that was the fan coming on. He said watch you temp. gauge and when that happens it will cool off about 10 degrees. My Trans. gauge usually is around 200, but have not been in any hill to speak of.

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - lbrachfe - 07-12-2013

all of this sounds par with my experiences

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - Chester Stone - 07-12-2013

Has anyone seen a transmission temperature in the range of 135? I see a steady rise in temperature climbing the mountain, no flattening out, and an increase going down hill. I wonder if I have a transmission fan. I do not see a problem with the engine water temperature.

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - qcj - 07-12-2013

Chester, I'm sure you have a transmission fan. It is above the rear axle. I don't think I would worry a whole lot about the rise is temp. on a long pull. I don't have Silver Leaf and sometimes that can get you into trouble. You just know too much. Just my opinion. Sure did enjoyed meeting you in Spearfish. Chappell

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - Richard - 07-13-2013

The tranny temp increasing going down a long grade with the jake makes sense. The torque converter is acting as the brakes.

Your engine temp is a bit high according to the DD info on the thermostat operation for a series 60. The spec sheet I have says the thermostats close at 196 and fully open at 204. Your low engine temps at normal and high at temps under load do raise curiosity questions about what could cause that

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - bikestuff - 05-09-2014

I just got back from Florida where there was a really bad accident on I-75. I was in stop and go traffic for a couple of hours. My tranny temp got up to 240. If it was just stop traffic, I would have shut er down...but with the traffic moving very slowly, this was not practical.

Can anyone tell me if this is ok? (Outside temperature was 75F or so).

thanks!

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - folivier - 05-09-2014

If you're using Transynd in the tranny it should be good to over 300 F. Regular tranny fluid would be a problem at those temps. Did the tranny act funny or work right when you accelerated?

RE: High engine & transmission temperatures - bikestuff - 05-09-2014

I could not tell any problem at all when the traffic cleared. I just happened to notice the temp once we got back up to highway speeds. I am wondering if the cooling fins of the transmission cooler are gunked up.