You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Paint peeling/blistering issue

Is the paint peeling/blistering a big deal on our coaches?  I have a couple spots that look like the picture where the paint is peeling up in a little circle - I have not been brave enough to peel it back and look under it but have been told by an ‘aluminum expert’ that is may indicate an issue that needs to be CUT out… what say ye?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I would cut it and clean it. Worst case, just touch it up afterwards. My concern is condensation and moisture sitting in that little space with no where to really go. Mine has a little bit of clear coat issues, but what coach doesn't that resides in AZ under the scorching sun?! Eventually we want to repaint it a lighter color.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Check the caulk seal around the perimeter of the slide out. You are getting water through that seam, and it is coming out the rivet hole. Common for that seam to need attention.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My understanding of the blistering is something called galvanic corrosion. Just google "galvanic corrosion under paint" and you can read all about why it happens. To fix paint gets stripped off, area gets prepped and painted over.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO