You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem

I had a short in my dash wiring that caused insulation melting on about 80% of my wiring to my gauges.  (The photo is now my screen saver.)  The short was my fault as I had just temporarily wired in a new tach and accidentally allowed wires to cross.  I ended up having to rewire all my gauges.  Anyway, there were many places that wire insulation melted in one wire and caused a short to another wire that was bundled tightly next to it.  I'm obviously no expert in this area but I wonder if your fuel valve wire melted somewhere else in that big bundle going from the dash to the terminal and when you hooked the wire up again it shorted out another wire associated with the ignition switch.  If that's the case, I would think your solution should work .  
If yours is like mine, there are no fuses or circuit breakers associated with the ignition switch wiring and the power to your headlights, gauges and fuel valve all go through the ignition switch.  So far I have placed a temporary fuse (10amp) in the main gauge power wire at the point where it comes out from the ignition switch to at least prevent another gauge wire meltdown.  I don't understand why there aren't more fuses protecting the ignition wiring but I guess it's worked for 35 yrs for this coach - until I got ahold of it!  I plan to add circuit breakers to at least a few other circuits associated with the dash that are not well protected.  It's a bit scary driving down the highway and seeing smoke billowing out from under your dash!
Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem - by wooflee90 - 11-21-2016, 06:14 PM
RE: Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem - by 77newell - 11-22-2016, 04:09 AM
RE: Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem - by wooflee90 - 11-25-2016, 07:42 AM
RE: Ignition Fuel Valve Wiring Problem - by dkarb - 11-26-2016, 05:36 AM