You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Zipdee slide topper awnings

The latch holds the awning rod from rotating either directions I lock it in position when it is open until I can get the side arms raised and engaged, then I release the lock. The lock should not be left engaged when the awning is out.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Mike, the outgoing is the culprit. Not possible to latch it with the slide out.

I don't have pictures of my hack, but I do remember what I did. I bought a section of inch wide aluminum at Lowes, cut it about 8 to 10 long. I ran it up the outside of the cast piece and used a couple or more of self tapping screws to secure it to the head, then I bent the strip to contour to the arm and secured it to the arm with more self tapping screws.

I put a second piece on the inside of the arm, only I had to drill a hole for the awning rod to pass through.

It wasn't pretty, but neither am I.

The problem with not addressing it before you leave is that IF it were to fail, the awning would flap about on the interstate and possibly make a big scuff on the side of the coach, not to mention the impact on your underwear.

If I couldn't make a suitable repair, I would simply take the awning off before my trip. Just my unasked for $0.02.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )