You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide motor

Tested the motor on the bench. Got it to run, but it varies in speed. I'm going to have the motor rebuilt to carry as a spare. I'll ask the rebuild guy if he has a source.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Dropped off the motor yesterday to be rebuilt. Got a call today that it was ready for pick up. Rebuilt & good as new for $70.00. It will be a good spare. When I pick it up I'll speak with the rebuilder & try to identify the problem.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

In reading the HWH material they recommend that when you change from the 3.7" motor(referred to it as a 3" earlier) to the 4.5" motor(referred to as a 4" motor earlier) you need to increase the battery cable size to 1/0. This will avoid unacceptable voltage drop. Newell had run 2/0 to a electrical lug and then #2 to the 3.7" motor. Battery shop made me up some new 1/0 cables and easy r & r. One 14" cable goes from the electrical lug to the motor relay and a second cable goes from the motor relay to the motor. All of this is in the left front basement compartment.

From the HWH manual:
3. Cable size is very important for proper system operation . Too small a cable gauge (diameter) will cause an unacceptable voltage drop. This can cause erratic system operation or total system failure. Although HWH has used different size (diameter) pump motors in the past, present HWH pumps, except Oildyne pumps, are equipped with either a 3.7” motor or a 4.5” motor. HWH recommends a 2 gauge cable for the 3.7” motors if the cable length is less than 35 feet. Lengths over 35 feet may create an unacceptable voltage drop and need to be a larger gauge (diameter). HWH recommends a 1/O gauge wire for the 4.5” motors if the cable length is less than 35 feet. Lengths over 35 feet may create an unacceptable voltage drop and need to be a larger gauge (diameter). The recommended fusing for the 3.7” motor is 150 amps. The recommended fusing for 4.5” motor is 200 amps.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531