You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing capacity

They are 12.5 kW diesel gensets.. I would think they do or at least could be made to?.. Opinions please

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Newell used 12.5kw gensets in their coaches until 1993 when larger generators started showing up. When Newell started building all electric coaches in 1994 (although there were still Newells built that carried propane for owners who didn't want to go all electric) gensets were typically 17.5kw to 20kw. I would think that most 12.5kw and larger gensets should be 240V. Even the 12.5kw generators sold by Home Depot have a 240 volt outlet on them. When you drop to about 10kw or less, they are typically only 120 volt.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Cool, well I just need to be able to get one at a reasonable price. And I can start my endeavor.. I have also considered adding some fold away bunks and maybe a toilet so I could also make it a bunk room for the kids. Once we arrive somewhere

Marc Newman

Yeah I've already been worried about that.. Thinking I might need to rent 2 spots when I go somewhere.. Anyone seen that ill thing you attach to the front of a big trailer and will move it for you only goes 1-2 mph but it's suppose to bring the trailer to you rather than you going to it.. Called idrive I think

Marc Newman

Photo 

Here are some photos I took of a stacker trailer at Newell back in 2006. At that time Richard Brown owned the Newell and trailer. Richard had a remote control box he plugged into the front of the trailer and small electric motors on the front wheels of the trailer would move the trailer forward or backward at a slow walking speed and allow him to steer the front wheels. He was able to load the trailer and drive it to the rear of his coach. It attached to the Newell with a pintle hook. Very slick. Richard used the upper deck for storage and pulled his Mini Cooper and motorcycle under the lift.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Back in the old days when I had Airstream travel trailers, I had a double wheel Power Caster PC-3 that I used to move my trailer around. That one was limited to 1800 pounds of tongue weight and although it moved my almost 10,000 pound trailer around, I doubt it would move a trailer much heavier than that.

Trailer tugs that will handle 20,000+ pound loads ups the game. Airtug and DJ Products make units that will move heavier loads.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Reviving this thread as I liked the title for future readers and wanted some feedback. According to Newell #458 has a hitch rated at 5000 lbs. Sounds like there was the base hitch and then an option for one that went to 10-12k. I have a potential buyer looking to tow his trailer w/car that weighs in at 6500 so we're technically over as it stands. Has any attempted to beef up the original hitch?

Edit. Time for a good laugh. Upon further discussion with Newell the 5000 being referenced by them was referring to tongue weight. Problem solved.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO