You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing capacity

I have found a stacker trailer I m interested in. I know I am going to need to upgrade my hitch. I have a call into Newell to double check towing capacity but loaded with 2 cars I may be close to 20k lbs. anybody know if we have a weight limit.?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

The early 1990's Newells had a towing capacity of 20K with the right hitch (GCWR-GVWR). P2000i (starting in 2005) hitches were rated at 14,400# with 1400 pounds tongue weight. The specs on the 2014 Newells is "Heavy-duty trailer hitch, max. 25,000-lb load; 8,000-lb receiver bar and ball".

The towing weight is limited by not only the hitch but by the chassis/drive train design as expressed by the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) which is the maximum design load capacity for the coach with everything in it plus the weight of whatever you are towing.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, any idea about the early 80's capacity?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve, although I have some GVWR ratings (low to mid 30k pounds) for coaches in the early to mid 1980's, I don't have any information on towing capacity or Gross Combined Weight Ratings. Sorry.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com
Tongue 

Steve, I'm sure YOU are exceeding capacityTongue

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

(01-05-2014, 03:21 PM)Express1 Wrote:  Steve, I'm sure YOU are exceeding capacityTongue
come over here and say that!

Thanks Michael!

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

If I thought I wouldn't spill my drink, I'd be on my way!
take care!

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

(01-05-2014, 03:36 PM)Express1 Wrote:  If I thought I wouldn't spill my drink, I'd be on my way!
take care!
Love you and Connie! Palm Springs is open now!
We have a Jeep and not afraid of using it!

PS this is about a 10 minute ride from our cabin, sometimes it can NOT be crossed.....unless by maybe Ron!!!

I have found 2 ,both of them are older. They both have their own gensets ac/ heat ..tons of cabinet space.. One I have to repaint one I wouldn't. One has solar panels , one doesn't.. I'm suppose to hear tomorrow.. They both have lift gates instead of internal lifts.. IF I get one of these I hope to put a hot tub on the top level and be able to bring it out when we camp somewhere.. I think that would be cool.. I won't carry water in it always fill and dump when I get to where I'm goingSmile

They both have air suspensions and air brakes.. Both are coach height..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Like the hot tub idea!! But be sure gensets put out 220/240 for good hot tub heating & operation!