You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: Do you drive at Night - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Never
23.73%
23.73%
Once in a while
40.68%
40.68%
Yes, all the time
35.59%
35.59%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Poll on driving at night

(01-28-2014, 10:49 AM)lbrachfe Wrote:  Never arrive at night and only drive at night when destination merits it, like being another 50 miles away. Almost backed off a cliff arriving at night in 2003 in a KOA in Kentucky. got up in the morning and saw that my rear axle was about 4 feet from the edge of a 200 foot drop with no barrier. I had accidently parked on the wrong side of this little cul de sac with a view, HAHA because it was pitch black and raining when I arrived at 2 am.... Still freaks me out thinking about it....

nearly had the same thing happen. thought i'd share

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Makes me so thankful that it only took a small scratch to teach me that it is always better to take a minute or so to get out & actually look when you are not sure.

I avoid night-driving whenever possible; that being said, I do find myself behind the wheel at nighttime on occasion.

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

The last time we drove at night, actually very early evening about dusk, was about a year ago, and the time before that was 4 years prior to that. Always prefer arriving at any destination prior to sunset. The time about a year ago we were delayed 4 hours due to a blown coolant hose, so sometimes stuff happens and you have no choice. The time over 4 years ago the RV park we planned at staying at was closed for the season....we were driving on US 50, the loneliest highway in America, and there was nothing for another 4 hours, thus the arrival after dark at a new to us RV park in Carson City.....barely missed hitting a couple of posts in this very tight RV park.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

when i was working, when we went on trips i would drive a zillion miles a day and drive until midnite and pull over in a walmart or roadside area so we could get to where we were going.

then i retired and my first retirement trip i spent nearly a month traveling with clarke and forest. i dont think we passed a rest stop and when i was just getting my drivers seat warm they would want to stop for the day. well, it wore off.

since then i have only driven at nite one time and that was this past summer when we had a tire problem and had to drive after getting it fixed because we had our son scott flying into austin so we could pick him up.

and i spent alot of money and time redoing my headlights.....only to use them once in 5 years.

now when we travel we leave first thing in the morning and usually are in the rv park by noon. sometimes earlier.

life is good

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Same as Tom, since retirement I have used my high zoot headlights exactly once.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We had an 85 year old "youngster" next to us in Alabama last year

We came in late in the afternoon and set up

Next morning he wandered over and said "Son" have you never heard of the 2-2-2 rule?

Obviously, I had not; well you drive 200 miles a day, you get in by 2pm, and you have 2 cocktails

Enough said

In the 15 months we have owned the coach, we arrived after sunset once, running from cold weather. It did show me that I need to install the relay on my head lights for more power. They are almost worthless. Sounds like a good topic for Bella Terra :-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

The 2-2-2 rule seems great, but my normal travel day is 3-3-3. Three hundred miles, parked by 3 PM to set up the Directv for recording, and 3 cocktails. Try it.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When I was working, we'd have the Newell all ready to go at any time, there were lots of occasions where we'd get home Friday after work and jump in and head somewhere. Now that I'm retarded we will probably be leaving daytime most of the time, but cities like Seattle, 3 AM is the perfect time to go through.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad