You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Year and coach numbers

I love how your coach was remodeled - I saw a couple postings and video clips of this one a few years back. It is awesome looking. I hope I get to see it in person one day. I wanted to do something similar with my coach but the boss said no. Nicely done!! What engine and tranny are you running?

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Gorgeous coach, inside and out Steve. Congrats. That is one beautiful 1983 model, even though it was manufactured in 1982. Much like cars, they start manufacturing the new year model prior to model year. That is a real head turner. I understand it has the Detroit 6V92 with the Allison MT-653 5 speed transmission.

Steve, please let me know if you find any coach number markings on it or on the Newell blueprint. I am trying to determine if they started the 'new' numbering system on January 1, 1983 or with the first 1983 model. The inside of the side engine bay doors is a likely candidate.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Beautiful Coach. I wonder how many others in that era were produced with 22.5 wheels like your coach has as standard. Please keep us updated on your projects for your new coach. Congrats !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Michael, It accpording o the vin is coach 5 that year, confirmed by Newell. Unfortunately Newell has very little information on the coach other than who purchased it, his loan info and his 14 percent interest rate.....YIKES!
No prints exist and it was refitted by Pantera coach in 2008.  Now comes the fun of updating systems and adding heat, (yes they removed one funace and disabled the other) . Going hydronic. Have a schoolastic Diesel Webasto to do dash and bays and going to do an Alde Radiant system  on propane and tie them together w heat exchangers to use engine heat for h2o as well as engine preheat. New Genny is also required as the perkins has massive blow by. Looking for a good 2 stroke mechanic to fix the 6v92 leaks as my local diesel guy is retiring this month. I am also thinking of regearing to 3.70 rear end to get better highway cruise speeds. Just drove her From Oroville Wa. border to Maine! Big Grin

82 Newell Classic
Beetle TDI Toad

She is a beauty Steve. Since she was built in 1982, even though she is a 1983 model, there may not be a 'coach number' for her. I am beginning to think that Newell implemented the new coach numbering system on January 1, 1983 so that early 1983 models would not have a coach number.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would put the info I have on my newly purchased 1983.  Pretty sure it is a 38ft and guessing it's #9 but we will see what Michael thinks and if I can find the number on it somewhere.  I'll put up more pics once I get it home and cleaned out some.

Here's a video on my YouTube if you're interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOyYjC97Gg

Thanks,

Wil

Wil Bolton
1983 Classic 36ft

Did Newell ever make real wood cabinets or were they always laminate?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I was curious about the cabinetry too. Seems all I have seen are laminate. On a side note, I would also be curious as to which coaches were scrapped or removed from service. This would kind of create a percentage of how many are still on the road compared to other brands. Seeing how these are built to be long lasting...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

On a side note there is on setting in Hastings,NE that hasn't moved in maybe 4 years. Maybe late 80's.

2000 Monaco Dynasty two slide ISC 350 Cummins sold
2017 35 foot New Horizons 2014 Volvo 630 herrin bed

Are there pictures somewhere that show the different body styles and associated year or serial #'s?

Life is what you make it.