You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1517 Bunk Coach

So Doug I assume that last pic is when the frame was done and that closest end in the pic is the engine bay is that right? So what happened next from that point? Do they install the engine axles drive shafts etc and get all that done before they begin building up into the coach quarters itself?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Todd

I believe your assumption is correct. The engine and transmission are installed prior to the upper structure being built. I believe the lower chassis and deck are constructed and the the slide areas followed by the wall and ceiling structure and end chaos. It spears the siding is placed both exterior and interior and then foamed. Hard not being close to go watch this on a regular basis.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

In the last 34 years I have been without a coach for 1 week. It was killing me until I got a new one. I would think waiting has got to be hardest part of ordering a new coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I will clarify my previous posting about the paint scheme. It might be construed I was implying the Matz's had taken a cookie cutter approach to their coach. In fact, I was feeling exactly the opposite. The color scheme is good enough that the factory feels it's their flagship design. True refined sophistication and elegance.

I hope I offended no one and apologize if I did. That was not my intention.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Todd, Newell starts construction in the separate chassis shop building north of the primary assembly building. The chassis is manufactured from scratch on site. When the chassis is complete, including installation of the slide room frames, the engine and the transmission, the rolling chassis is actually driven under its own power the 1/2 block to the main assembly building. The driver either stands or sits on a wooden crate during this journey. As you can see in my photos, the outside drive axle tires have not been installed at this point as the weight of the coach is significantly reduced.

[Image: Snapshot_3_2811-27-2013_10-45_AM_NewellR...hassis.png]

[Image: Snapshot_1_2811-27-2013_10-25_AM_Newell_Chassis29.png]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Paint Scheme

No feathers ruffled here. Interesting one thing my wife and I agreed on before we arrived at camp Newell for the design meeting was we did not want a "Blue" coach. After many many hours with Dan Oliver and ton of designs we slept on it. The next day as we continued to work on what we liked the design evolved to our final look. It is similar to several of the blue coaches they have done but when they are laid out side by side they all look different. Another very challenging thing was the colors in the designs are not the same as the actual colors. We had many print outs of the coaches on site to compare the print to actual. Again making decisions based on chips. We are anxiously waiting the unveiling of choices.

Michael

Thanks for the pictures, although I am sure it is not my coach, not being there to see it all I enjoy all the production shots.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Doug,
Congrats on your new coach, what a beautiful platform to build memories!
Bob

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

Thanks to Marc "Yachts" here are some more pics.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Ok that last pic inside makes it look so big and long that there ought to be ten pens and a ball return on the end. Wonder if Newell would do that?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

If you want more pics tell me.. I'm going back Thursday to get met coach

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701