You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Headlight Upgrade

Great job Richard. Thank you for sharing....Wishing I could do the same upgrade..

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Richard, a new business opportunity, drive from Newell owner to Newell owner doing headlight modifications for them.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Looks great Richard!! Nice job I like it. Most people would be afraid to tackle a job like that.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

if richard wanted to build a nuclear reactor, he would figure out how.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Great job Richard, Looks really nice

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

I'll be he could build it for less than 500$ and it would be more reliable than what we have now..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

You guys are too kind. It was a combo of redneck engineering, no fear, and pathological optimism.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

In addition to truly gifted and wildly self confident

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

(06-17-2014, 04:31 AM)Richard Wrote:  I wanted to upgrade the headlights on 512 like I had done on 390. However, the ECE code headlights to replace the Ford pickup truck lights were no longer available. So, I had a wild dream and decided to remodel the front cap to look more like the later models.

Newell uses a 90 mm Hella sealed unit. You can source those from Rallylights.com. I decided to go whole hog and install the bixenon. Translated into English this means I used HID lighting for the low and high beam.

Step one was to cut out the out headlights and the recessed fiberglass that surrounded the lights. That is picture one.  Pictures two is a shot of prefabbing some flexible fiberglass sheeting to give me something to start filling the hole. I simply put wax paper down on a smooth surface, wet some fiberglass cloth with resin, and waited for it to cure.

I needed some round tubes to act as the recesses for the round units. So I found appropriate sized pipe or tubing, waxed the outside of the pipe, and wrapped it with resin saturated cloth. When that cured I had fiberglass tubing to make the recesses for the lights and new round blinkers.

I have added a few pics that show building the layers of fiberglas in place to fill in the hole. By the way the fiberglass on the front cap is 3/4 inch thick in this section. That's a lot of fiberglass. Two days worth :-).

After the glass was almost flush with the rest of the surface, I used bondo to bring it up to the right surface height. Then primer and paint. I used a single stage PPG paint instead of clear. I didn't know how blending a clear would look with the Imron paint which is not clear coated. I took a piece of the fiberglass I cut out to the paint store and they used their computer system to match the color.

The final picture is of the finished product.  If you remember, I said I installed the single unit low high HID. I didn't think a single unit would look right, so I found a pair of used 90 mm low beam Hellas on Fleabay for 50 bucks. They are installed for aesthetics right now. I may get energetic and wire them just to flash as courtesy for the truckers.

And the finish is a laugh at my expense. It's a lot of work to mask the entire front of the coach to prepare for painting. And it's a lot of trouble to paint. After I painted it, I could see a ripple in the fiberglass on both sides where the old met the new. I could see it or feel it until the surface was glossy. So, I sanded it all down, fixed the ripple, primered and painted again. It's the Entrekin way. Do it twice, or three times till you get it right.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

That's nice

Julius & Charlene
2001 Newell #576