You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Supplemental Brakes?

Thanks Chester, I have been looking at that unit and talked with their Tech Support yesterday. I am also considering the RVibrake2 and also talked with their Tech Support yesterday.
The RVi unit does have an advantages of being "stand alone" and can be used for more than one towed vehicle, but does require 12 Volts. Installation is also very simple.
Not concerned about the cheapest...sometimes cheap is very expensive!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

As my friend once said, "Who needs brakes? I've got bumpers!"

I have the Roadmaster 9100 system like Steve and Suzy. It's quick to install and can easily be moved to another vehicle. I mounted its breakaway tank right on the actuator cylinder bracket. Thus when removed, only the air line and electrical line (actuates the breakaway system) remain. So I truly can move the complete system from vehicle to vehicle easily.

As far as the air line, it's kept up next to the tow bar, as I expect most are. It should have pretty good protection there. I have not tested it to see how the bus reacts after an air line separation. It would be an interesting test.

The 9100 is also proportional and functions well. There is a small hassle of the install and removal, but I like the vehicle interchange ability it has. Even if you don't frequently change toads, when you do you only need to buy the seat bracket for the new toad and install the air/electrical lines and go. With my typical luck, the SMI unit would somehow fail in the most extreme manner possible and leave me without brakes on the toad. I know it's not supposed to be able to do that, but there's a reason I don't gamble either! Lol.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Interesting to hear that the SMI Unit failed on you!

cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I did not read that the SMI failed. The SMI unit has a reserve air supply contained in the under hood control unit that locks the brakes in the event of a breakaway and the coach air is not compromised. At my age and with my bad knees, the Roadmaster 9100 is a pain for me to engage and disengage when I am in a bind and nervous. I gave it to one of our gurus. Now I do not have to put my knees on the ground every time.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(06-21-2014, 03:51 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  At my age and with my bad knees, the Roadmaster 9100 is a pain for me to engage and disengage when I am in a bind and nervous.

darn!

PS just kidding!

That's why the wife puts it in!! Lol. Seriously though, I understand the knee issues. I don't have them yet. But Dad did, so I figure it's just a matter of time.

06 M450LXi 3 slide