You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant expansion tank

Richard, a little over a year ago I had to replace the complete manifold.  I couldn't stop the leak around the cut-offs.  If I am not mistaken there are 4 hoses that go to it.  Two in and two out from dash heater and A/H.  It was easier to replace the whole thing than try to repair those long stem cut-offs.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Any GURUS have experience retrofitting a classic with an overflow tank? I don't have one on the 1984 and can only assume that it didn't come with it, or it wasn't replaced during the engine overhaul. As a result, the coach runs a low coolant level an inch or so below the sight glass window. The only way to check the level is to remove the cap before starting out and inserting a piece of paper towel in the tank, and looking for liquid on the paper towel when pulled out. If I replace the missing coolant, it will be an inch below the sight glass when cool the next morning.

Also, we came thru the Palm Springs area in 95 degree weather last week, pulling a fairly light enclosed trailer (2500lbs) On a moderate grade the old analog temp gauge went up to 190 as did the electronic Digipanel. I slowed down to  45 and dropped down a gear with rpm's at 1800. After a few miles, the temp went to the green on the Digipanel  at 180 degrees, confirmed by the analog gauge. I was wondering if the close proximity of the trailer being towed, 5 ft, was inhibiting the radiator fan from blowing out the heat? 
Huh

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy,
Does the fill tank with the sight glass have a overflow hose just below the radiator cap? If so just plumb that hose to a bottom fitting on an expansion tank. That is how mine is plumbed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Guy, when I owned my '93 with 8v92 I had added a 2 gallon or so plastic overflow tank. I bought it from US Plastics website and had to solder a 2nd connection using a heat gun. Perhaps Jon could take a picture for you. Really easy to do and made a big difference with the coolant levels.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(04-17-2017, 06:06 AM)rheavn Wrote:  Guy,
Does the fill tank with the sight glass have a overflow hose just below the radiator cap?  If so just plumb that hose to a bottom fitting on an expansion tank.  That is how mine is plumbed.

Yes it does ...

Thank you.

(04-17-2017, 07:11 AM)folivier Wrote:  Guy, when I owned my '93 with 8v92 I had added a 2 gallon or so plastic overflow tank.  I bought it from US Plastics website and had to solder a 2nd connection using a heat gun.  Perhaps Jon could take a picture for you.  Really easy to do and made a big difference with the coolant levels.

Thanks !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy,
Go to the #1 post of this thread. There is a picture of how mine is plumbed. Black hose comes from fill tank overflow tube.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Now that is a thing of beauty! Am I correct in assuming it is not a pressure vessel, just an overflow can when hot, and when cool the coolant returns to the radiator?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

It does fluctuate some between hot & cold, but tank always has coolant.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I got an " ARIZE TECHNOLOGIES CRS 300 - COOLANT RECOVERY " off eBay & put it on my '87. It came with everything needed, including a new 7 psi radiator cap.

I mounted it on the pass side to the cover over the rear electrical panel - maybe not the best place, but it is accessible & out of the way for most things . . . . .

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Kyle, the arize is the original from Newell. After a period of time, they crack from either the heat or the UV shining in. But that may take ten years so........

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )