You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant expansion tank

bill, you are doing mighty fine work. nicely done

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My coolant overflow tank is cracked and leaking too. It is not the round version that I have read about that most of you have. It is a yellowish translucent rectangular type, coach 406, a 1996 Newell. It sits it a wire basket it the usual spot. Anyone know where to get a replacement? Newell does not have one. 
Also, I am replacing the fuel tank sending unit, Newell says the only sell a 27 inch  unit that you must have a 1 inch collar fabricated in order to mount the sender? Any updates on that? Thanks to all for any help with these issues. John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

John

The square one in the wire basket is likely a car parts store generic replacement. If so it will not have the volume to hold the typical surge. Replace it with the big round one. Either the AZcool version or better the aluminum one

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard,
Do you know where to get them at?
Thanks,
John

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Read this thread for the source. Page 1

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

On my driver-side display, I got several warning lights on: "LOW COOLANT" and "STOP ENG" in red and "CHECK ENG" in yellow.
After some checking, I noticed my coolant recovery tank (grey plastic) has a big crack and is leaking.
I, therefore, was searching in this forum for replacement parts.
I am glad that I found this thread. The original plastic was a poor choice by design. We all know plastic tends to fail over time.
The aluminum or stainless replacement is a much better solution.  Thank you!

I do have a couple of of questions. 

1) There appear 2 coolant tanks on my 701 coach. The rectangular is made of metal, and the 8" round recovery tank is made of plastic. Both has a "add mark".
When you have to add coolant, which tank do you add into? The plastic recovery tank? Or both?

2) What type of coolant do you use? My 701 has Detroit 60 engine.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Joe,

THOSE ARE NOT BOTH COOLANT TANKS! The round one is a coolant overflow tank…but the metal box one is hydraulic fluid.

The subject of what coolant that you should use is complicated. Other folks can explain…but the metal one is the fluid for your fan, and power steering.
When you add fluid, you add the coolant to the tank that is mounted above the round one. Look for a door on the outside of the coach above radiator.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

There is a metal coolant tank behind the small keyed door on the left rear of the coach. I keep both up to the fill mark. The metal hydraulic fluid tank is located on the right side of the engine compartment on the stainless shelf.

My plastic coolant tank broke and I tossed it. Replaced it with an aluminum tank.

I use final charge coolant which is available at WalMart. It is an OAT coolant.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(10-02-2022, 02:38 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Joe,

THOSE ARE NOT BOTH COOLANT TANKS!  The round one is a coolant overflow tank…but the metal box one is hydraulic fluid.

The subject of what coolant that you should use is complicated.  Other folks can explain…but the metal one is the fluid for your fan, and power steering.

When you add fluid, you add the coolant to the tank that is mounted above the round one.  Look for a door on the outside of the coach above radiator.

Bill

thank you very much! I almost made a disastrous mistake.

I just found the inlet for adding the coolant.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Joe,

The question of which coolant you have is a tough one. If you have any records, then you may be in luck.

The essence of the problem is this. All the coolants are ethylene glycol. The difference is in the additive package which is required to prevent cavitation on the wet cylinder liner in the engine. For years, the coolant used contained nitrates, commonly referred to as SCA’s. Life was good and coolants were simple. The along came extended life coolants using Organic Acid Technology, OAT. The advantage being much longer life, and no need for adding SCAs to the system periodically. Life was still simple because the original coolants using SCA were dyed green, and the new OAT based coolants were dyed red.

Then for some unknown reason, coolant manufacturers started using pink, and orange, and red in coolants with SCA or in coolants using OAT. The coolant additive packages ARE NOT compatible, and if mixed can cause gelling problems in the cooling system.

This non standardization of colors created a huge problem in the diesel coolant world.

This is an oversimplified condensed version of the situation. I encourage you to spend some time researching this topic before proceeding.

Wait, it gets worse. I am not aware of any commercially available test system that will tell you which of the additive packages you have.

So, you can’t depend on color. And you can’t easily test.

If you have records, then stay with what the records indicate is in the system. If you don’t have records, then a sample sent to Blackstone or another testing lab may be able to identify what you have. But that is a long shot. Without records, most people drain the system, flush with distilled water, and refill with the coolant of choice. If you do that, please leave records for the next owner. Like Steve Bare, I use Final Charge OAT because it is available at Walmart.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad