You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prevost & Newell which makes you drool?

Greetings - Greetings and more Greetings,

Every once in awhile you’ll read something and you think “wow that was really interesting”. Then today I read something and I think “wow that was interesting, thought provoking and just right”!

Michael and Richard, thank you for your very thoughtful responses. My questions regarding Prevost verses Newell had less to do with Prevost and more to do with reputation. Prevost is the only motorhome I new and understood it to have a great reputation. So my thought was If a coach is said in the same breath as Prevost it’s got to be good!

Richard said: “Harry, do you mind telling us a little about you?” I will answer in the order the questions were asked.

What is your background? I am passive aggressive, chronic and manifested by sullenness! But so much for my wife, children, friends, neighbors and gaggle of clinical psychologists! What do they know right? Smile

I don’t know how much you want to know but a quick thumbnail is have an MBA in marketing, an Army officer, owned a food broker firm for almost 30 years and the last 15 years as a database developer! Intermixed within that somewhere I’ve been a radio announcer, humorist speaker, author and general pain in the backside!

Have you owned RVs before? No

How mechanically or electrically inclined are you? At the age of 14 I worked in a full service City Service station in my hometown. By 16 could take a car apart and put it back together with few parts left over. Smile However, that has been a few years ago but some things you don’t forget. There are few things i’ve put my mind to that i’ve been unable to do!

What are you going to use the coach for? May through September in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. We lived in Cody, Wyoming before our recent move to North Carolina. We have kids in West Virginia and Florida and wanted to pick a place in between so we can spend more time with them and the grandkids. We’re not 100% sure what we will do with our home in NC but we plan to winter in Florida and are unsure if we will live in the coach full time or get a stick house in Florida for the winter months. That’s one of the big reasons I want a 45 footer, I want the pleasure of room and willing to sacrifice not being able to fit into some spaces and places to have it.

What do I want in a motorhome? 45’ Newell DP, Bath & a half, Washer & Dryer, King Bed, Cummins diesel (I know I will not get that) and from 1999 to 2006.

Chester Stone said in a different thread here on the Guru: Foodsman, you stated that not having a bath and a half was a deal breaker. My 2001 does not have two commodes, but my coach only travels with one or two persons (not a family), and the added closet space and king size bed in lieu of the extra commode closet is preferred.

There could be wisdom in that, something Chester is not known for! Smile

If I’ve missed anything please let me know.

Thank you all so very much, you’ve been a true blessing!!!

Harry

Sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us numbskulls.
If you're not scared to try and fix anything just ask away. Most of us have done the same and been rewarded with the expertise of others who have tackled the same problems. Many times the fix to a repair is a loose connection or a simple replacement. So having some skills with tools is a definite plus. But if you have to rely on a repair shop for every little fix it can get expensive really quick.
The best thing to do right now is to find some for sale or an owner nearby so that you can look at a few. Richard has a very nice coach and I'd definitely take him up on his offer. But wear old clothes when you do get together with him....too many pictures of him crawling under his coach.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

What do I want in a motorhome? 45’ Newell DP, Bath & a half, Washer & Dryer, King Bed, Cummins diesel (I know I will not get that) and from 1999 to 2006.

Ok that really helps in narrowing the differences. Michael will correct me on the following statements with year and serial number but here we go.

There are some pretty substantial differences to consider in that time span. The first in my opinion is steering tag axle which came on board circa 2004. It makes a huge difference in turning radius. The second is two slides vs four. Four obviously gives spacious room while parked. Two is much more travel friendly in terms of coach access while rolling. There will be a cosmetic change to the front cap during that time period with the older coaches having rectangular headlamps and the newer coaches fitted with smaller round lights. The suspensions changed from Dana Front/ Ridewell rear to ZF all around circa 2004.

Otherwise, DD is pretty much the standard engine, and you already get an idea of how similar but different the layouts can be.

If you make it to WV in August to see the kids let me know. We have room and I'll so you our coach first hand. And no, it's not for sale. Rhonda would kill me after all the bus pimping I have done.

And I although I understand and appreciate Chester's viewpoint for two people one potty, I will say that the 1/2 bath is a huge difference if traveling with another couple, a friend, or kids. The mid door and half bath floor plans allow you to essentially divide the coach into two night time compartments.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Newell 1999-2006 Facts:

Coach #'s
1999: 503-538
2000: 539-571
2001: 572-607
2002: 608-639
2003: 640-678 (Newell skipped 666) and 671 (1st Newell with ZF suspension) was built as a 2004
2004: 671 and 679-716
2005: 717-752
2006: 753-786

Body Style:
2000 Series introduced in 1990 had a new front cap beginning with 538, the last 1999 and carrying on from there. As previously pointed out, the headlights changed at that point from the rectangular Ford truck headlights to the small round brighter headlights. Partial raised roofs (referred to as humpy's) were on many of the 1999-2004 coaches providing extra head room for the rear 1/3 to 2/3 or the coach. Early in the 2005 model year (coach 722), the 2000i enhancements added the buttresses on top of the coach and dramatically changed the styling of the sides of the coach in the area of the engine and changed the design of the rear of the coach. The P2000i enhancements completed the changes begun with the 2000i by adding the Porsche designed front cap with the one-piece windshield beginning with coach 775 or 776 (still trying to find a photo of those 2 coaches). This body style remained until the 2020P style was released in the late 2013 models.

Suspension:
As Richard mentioned, one of the most extensive mechanical changes was the introduction of the ZF suspension. This suspension added the ZF active steering tag axle. #671 (2004) was the first coach with the ZF suspension, then 681, then 685. Most coaches after #696 had the ZF suspension and all Newells beginning with #722 have the ZF suspension.

Slides:
1999: Most with 2 slides, some with 1 and at least one with no slides
2000: Most with 2 slides a couple of 1 slide and at least 1 triple slide
2001: Mostly 2 slides during the first half of the rear, with a number of 3 and 4 slides in the second half of the year
2002-2003: Mostly 3 and 4 slide with a few 2 slide
2004-2006: Mostly 4 slide with some 2 and 3 slide
Slides were operated by HWH hydraulic systems through early 2003 models then a switch to Valid electric operated slides.

Entry:
Mid-entry ONLY through 2001 except coach #606 which was front entry.
At least one front entry in 2002 and at least one in 2003.
Increasing use of front entry in 2004 - 2006
Bode Air Door first appeared in #606 a 2001 and by 2002 most Newells were equipped with Bode Air Doors.

Air Conditioning:
Most were built with basement air until 2004 then mostly roof air.

Engines:
Almost all will be powered by Detroit Diesel Series 60's until 2006 with a couple of Caterpillar C-12's in 2004 and a number of C-13 and C-15's in 2005. By #762 in 2006, most would be powered by Caterpillar C-15's. Many of the C-15's in 2006 had 10 speed ZF automatic transmissions in lieu of the Allison 6 speed World Transmission.

Baths:
All years during this period had some coaches with a single bath and some coaches with a bath and a half.

Beds:
East-West mounted beds in virtually all of these years.
Towards the end of 2004 there were was at least one Murphy bed and at least one Center Island bed coaches. About 7 Murphy beds and 5 Center Island Beds were built in 2005 with a number of each in 2006.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have been narrowing down the Must haves for me, not all inclusive but a start.
( Bath n Half ) because my bride and I have different sleeping schedules, when I get up at my normal 4-ish we have agreed I will be relatively quite. That floor-plan makes it ez'r to accomplish closing off the bedroom. Great for guest also.
(2 slide - street-side).. I like curbside free .. and ez'r to access the bays (for me)
(mid-door) breaks up the coach into living areas and reduces traffic thru the salon for those trips in and out for goodies.
(one Couch -One Chair - desk w chair)
(outside TV & Grill)
The Dream part is something less than 45 ft. very rare I know....
The rest I'm figuring..
89 working daze...

Jimmy

Greetings, condolences, sings and salutations,

I’m always amazed at the breath of information you guys have. I am very thankful for it because it allowed me to figure out what I would like in a perfect, or near perfect world...

2004/05 coach... Why you ask, read on Grasshopper.
1. 45 foot.
2. Humpy: I’m 6-3 and I like the offering of added height
3. Active ZF suspension with steering tag axle: I think this is a BIG deal
4. Many slide options and I’m not sure what I want in slides as yet.
5. I like the mid entry.
6. Air on the roof.
7. My wife tells me “we will have a bath & a half” yes dear!
8. One couch with desk and chair area.
9. Washer and dryer - no combo.
10. King bed (cold live with a Queen).

The only Must Haves are (1. 45’) (7. bath & a half) and (9. W&D no combo).

I look forward to the search and I know with all your help I have little chance of going wrong. If I go wrong I have peeps to blame! Smile

Thank you all so much and by all means comment on my list and where you think I may be boing wrong and where you feel I’m just right?

Harry

If you're not familiar with driving a coach that big you might want to consider taking a private driving lesson at Newell. My wife recently did and Glenn Edwards (one of the driver/delivery guys at the factory) spent 7 hours with her. Now she has never driven anything larger than a Suburban and has never pulled a trailer. After her lesson she was even passing 18 wheelers on the interstate with the truck in tow.
My comment on your wants/needs: listen to your wife!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Most states require you to have a B class license. It is not a hard but it does require a written and driving test. In Texas and in most States anything over 26,000 lbs require this. If one does have an accident it would be a good thing to have.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Hi qci,

Florida, Wyoming, Montana my primary states of interest as a domocile state require standard car licensing. LazyDays/Tampa offers a 4 hour school room and driving course which my wife and I plan to take. I would not consider jumping into a 45' motorhome and start out on my merry way.

I've read a lot about driving a motorhome, how to adjust mirrors, how to make a turn etc, but again, I'll do more than read!

Hey Forest, 7 hours wow I'll bet that was a great 7 hours, she must of learned a bunch!

Harry

I thought I would not trade until I could have a steerable tag but found a coach that everything else fit my need and have no regrets. Out of driving 10K a year how much time is the steer axle used? Also doses it put more wait on the front steer axle? Buy a Newell that what works for you!

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck