You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Appel's air system

An easy way to test what solenoids are activated at any time (Forest shared this with me) is to touch the center post of the individual solenoids with a steel screwdriver blade and the one(s) activated will produce enough magnetism that you will feel the difference.

I'm thinking that if this were my 93 coach (similar 6-pack but controls different) I would be focusing on the LR first and thinking the RF was just a symptom of the LR dropping (it's also nice that the rear 6-pack is easily accessible). One of two things is happening; 1) not enough air is supplied to get the airbag filled, or 2) air is venting (leaking) faster than the supply can produce (supply can come from either the "up" solenoid or the HCV depending on which setting the controls are in and assuming the solenoids are turning on properly. If it is #2 you should hear venting somewhere while trying to use either the HCV or the "up" solenoid.

There are a couple things I can think to do but not sure of the exact order of doing them. I would use a screwdriver to test that the solenoids are properly on and off according to the control switch positions in the cockpit. I would also think about bypassing the 6-pack entirely by hooking the HCV line coming to the 6-pack directly to the line going to the airbag an pressurizing the system and putting the cockpit switches in the travel mode so all other valves are positioned in this mode. If doing this and moving the HCV control arm up and down (don't get crushed) moves the axle up and down then the problem is in the 6-pack or its controls. If the axle doesn't appropriately then the HCV has a problem and needs replacement.

If the HCV proves OK then you have to focus on the 6-pack and the screwdriver test may provide a useful starting point.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I believe my next step would be to Verify the Integrity of the switches! They fail internally.. (Just me thinking out load)

Jimmy

Keep in mind just because the coil is working (magnetized) doesn't mean the valve is working correctly.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Bill, any more information on your air issue? Certainly hope you are near a solution so you can get back on the road.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, we are making progress. We replaced travel/leveling switch, and instead of chasing down and troubleshooting all solenoids we replaced all twelve on the two six packs...We tested and she adjusts fine in leveling mode but in travel mode now the R/R is not coming to ride height. The front leveler is working fine but it appears 1 or both of the RHLV on the back may need to be replaced. I have the parts so we will get started in a couple hours.
I also elected to buy 8 new airbags and replace them all while we were here. We have 4 replaced on the rear and will replace 4 on Friday morning when they arrive (Newell sent me 4 of the wrong size)

I'm not leaving here until she is as good as new.

We had all kinds of corrosion in our airlines from storage and lack of use so I have arranged to store the coach in Wisconsin with my cousin in climate control and he has said he will exercise the coach and use while I am back in Japan.

I have learned a great deal from getting underneath the coach and seeing how the airbags are installed and removed as well as the RHLV and six packs...also chasing wire schematics for solenoids...expensive education but we all know that these are expensive beasts we love and she is the only home I have!

I'll keep you posted as to progress and hopefully departure. Thanks for all the help you and Guru's have provided during this breakdown.

On a side note, my mechanic and I both served in the same unit in the Army 30+ years ago and we have re-connected. He is very knowledgeable about these systems and has troubleshot the system in a parallel to what many have suggested. He's also had discussions via phone with Richard and Steve...He is going to build his own coach in retirement using a prevost bus so I think I lucked out with his knowledge of systems.

Hot in South Dakota...

Oh at least the last 3 days I was able to avoid my in-laws! LOL

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

The air suspension should be like new when you finish with new airbags, new ride height control valves and new leveling solenoids. Might check the air tanks while you are under there for any rust. I found a small pinhole leak in one of my brakes air tanks that I had welded up.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

wow, it will be like new. be sure to keep the old solenoids. there are a lot of us that would be willing to have some if you are getting rid of any.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for the update. I was impressed with the guy I spoke with. He had solid troubleshooting skills.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Update, we received the last four airbags today and we put on the front RHLV...Drove away and the coach rides awesome...final total was 8 new airbags, 3 RHLV's, 1switch, and 12 Solenoids but I saved 7 old ones that were in good shape, I had them change the differential oil and replace the left side wheel seal...Parts & shipping $5K ,labor 2.8K so $8K for a brand new leveling and ride system that hopefully will last this coach for a long time...Learned a great deal and made a friend in the process.
Thanks guys for helping me get this fixed and helping troubleshoot this system...we are off to Denver Monday but staying here in Spearfish for the weekend.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Bill, did your mechanic determine the actual cause/contributing factors of the problem that stranded you?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com