You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Appel's air system

Michael, he believes the travel/leveling switch shorted causing damage to the solenoids. We replaced switch and bad solenoids but the RHLV's would not work on the rear...we replaced the RHLV's on the rear and she worked perfectly...When I had them replace the airbags on the front I had them go ahead and replace the front RHLV as a precaution and to have all new components at one time...Both of us were baffled at the RHLV's not functioning in the rear once the solenoids were replaced but based on the condition and leaking in the airbags maybe the parts wore out? Any ideas ?

Also Michael, every day I smile when getting in my hot shower!

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

It is entirely possible that either rust, water, or dessicant from the air dryer contaminated your air system. The contamination would hose the solenoid valves and the leveling valves since they both have small orifices that could be occluded.

What leveling valves did you use?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Glad you have it working now. Sounded like at least one ride height valve replacement had to be involved in the solution.

Aren't hot showers nice!!!!

If you haven't, it is always a good idea to drain the water out of the air tanks, drain the dryer on the 120 volt air compressor (if it doesn't have one add one), and service the air dryer on the engine mounted air compressor.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

now now michael. of course i put one on the 120v compressor. and it has pull ropes for the main tanks.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I thought I remembered that you did Tom but as you get older, what you remember and what really happened aren't always the same.Sad

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Richard, we put on the Ridewell Leveling arm and purchased through Newell...The solenoids were HWH. I forgot to say in my post that he also cleaned the lines and they were full of corrosion, debris, etc..which he felt was a major contributor to the failure. I have arranged to store my coach in a climate controlled warehouse in Wisconsin and have a cousin who will exercise the engine and use the coach monthly while I am still in Japan. I truly feel that lack of use and storage in a cold climate contributed significantly to the failure.

She sure rides smooth now and the compressor is not kicking on all the time to fill the leaks in the old airbags...

Gonna have to go back to work to pay for it all...lol

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

I like Richard's use of the word "occluded"....a highly underutilized word, IMHO.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com