You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Why no EGT gauge?

I was speaking with a very knowledgeable fellow about his rig and he works on his engine himself. He looked at my Newell and was very impressed on the build, however he wondered why there is no Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge. He says it is one of the most important things to monitor when pushing up hills as high temps mean possible damage to the engine.
Anyone have any thoughts or ways to add this feature?

2001 Newell 45'8" Triple slide Coach #588
Series 60 DDEC Allison World 6 speed 4000
2010 Polaris Rzr-S, plated and trailered

lance, i added one on my f350 and on the 90 that bill has now. it wasnt hard but it was ALOT of work. the biggest pain was getting another pair of wires up to the dash from the turbo. then all you have to do is find a place to mount the gauge and to weld a collar on the turbo pipe and drill a hole (carful not to get shavings in the turbo....and screw in and mount the sender.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I think it is more important to know the temperature of the air entering the engine from the turbo. This is a much faster indication of too much heat than the water or oil temperature. Unfortunately, my coach does not have this sensor.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

you can choose where to put the sender. you just have to know there will be a temp difference and compensate for it

tom

I like EGT gauges but rarely have seen one on a Newell and they were likely added by a subsequent owner.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

the wanderlodges seem to all have them.

tom

The egt gauge seem to be more important on the 8v92 2 stroke than the 60, cat and cum which are all 4 stroke.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

One thing I have noticed is that Blue Birds in general have a lot more gauges, switches etc. It is impressive to a gearhead like me but may be somewhat intimidating to someone who is not "into" the joys of mechanical wonders. It seems that Newell tries to just make things work as seamlessly as possible and not supply as much information or require as much interaction with the user. I would think that especially on the newer coaches that the ECM will monitor EGT's and cut fuel or boost as needed to eliminate engine damage.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I'm thinking it might be a good thing to get when I get my engine back!

Definitely a benefit on an 8V92 since you can see the immediate impact load and rising temperatures.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com