You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer vs. Towbar

Perfect summary Michael.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hey Chester,

Can you tell me a little more about the "swivel type hitch"? I don't think I've heard that before. What about a car hauler like U-Haul offers? I don't have toys or a bunch of things requiring more space nor do I want them... It would be my wife who would fill it up and that just can't happen! Blush

Some of you guys sound like between your motorhome and trailer your around 150', hey I can exaggerate! You have not found any length issues in some states?

Harry

I towed over the Oregon Cascades one winter, Bend to Eugene. Oregon uses a volcanic substance to sand the roads with that is red in color and comes in various sized chunks. If I had used the wipers on the toad prior to washing it, would have ruined the wipers and windshield. My preference is an enclosed trailer large enough to put additional toys in.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

I tow 4 on the ground and wish I didn't have to tow anything. Trailer would be too much trouble for me. I can unhook my jeep in less than 5 minutes.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I agree with you Chappell, I'd not tow a thing if I could get away with it. I could maybe get away with it in Florida because I have family there. But out west where we'll spend 5 to 6 months of the year has too much wide open spaces and miles between food stores,restaurants etc to not have a vehicle.

Harry

Having that tow back there does sort of give you security in case of a break down.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Hi Chappell,

I can sure understand the breakdown aspect! I said to my wife the other day "when was the last time you saw a motorhome broken down on the side of the road? She said what I was thinking, never! But they do, I have no doubt about that...

One more benefit to towing four down............
An old acquaintance of mine had a bus conversion years ago. He blew the transmission while on the highway and ended up disabled on the berm. When he tried to open the door to get out he realized he was close enough to a guard-rail that he could not squeeze his 6'6" 350 lb. frame through the door opening. His wife was able to get out a window. She got in the towd and pulled the bus backward far enough to allow the door to open.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If Brenda would go fulltime, I'd have to have a 30 foot stackerBig Grin

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

30 foot allows for a"few" toys