You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turbo problems

Tom
Yes mine is the rectangular. It is the same one that was on the 96 I think. I had the same trouble with the shop in Knoxville and I think they are two different rectangular plugs OBD 1 and OBD 2. They had the rectangular to round adapter but it was not the right one. I will call Newell Monday to try to get the right adapter and would like to have it ship to you if that OK? Thanks

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

thats fine. i will send you my shipping address.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

ron, as far as i know, those plugs on the ddec have nothing to do with obd 1 or 2. they are detroit diesel plugs.

i know leo has the ability to plug into my rectangular one. the ddec only uses 4 pins i beleive. data plus and minus and ground and power. at least that is all my silverleaf uses. perhaps they use more pins for additional diagnostics.

tom

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/fil...tors_0.pdf

J1587 is what at least mine uses.

the wiring diagrams for those plugs.

tom

The shop in ST George was not able to do anything, but drove today to Page AZ. No Problems. Flagstaff Tuesday for several day before heading to Phoenix where I have another appointment before heading home, hope to get a cure in Phoenix.

We've seen that 147-7 code as well as 147-12 a couple of times. I was told by DD shops that on EGR engines they see a lot of trouble with the VPOD's (Variable Pressure Output Devices). DD is now on revision 10 or so. Sometimes they work for years, however they also see them fail just after replacement.
In our case the turbo VPOD was replaced twice and the EGR VPOD ones. The VPOD is the device that controls the EGR valve or the turbo vanes.

Edwin & Lydia
(Previous owners) 2004 Newell #710, 42'6" , 2 slides, steering tag
DD series 60 EGR
1,000 W solar 

Thanks for the info. I will tell the next shop about this. When you saw the code did the check engine light come on and you would lose power when the turbo would kick in? This has happen to me 3 times and after I stop and then start again it may not do it again for a thousand miles. One time it happen on flat land and was no problems. The next time it happen in the mountains when i need all the power and that was a problems. What diagnostic plug do you have for DD to read the code?

Ron, only the first time (while climbing a 7% grade) I've seen the check engine light come on and had to pull over due to a huge power loss. That time they found a failed turbo VPOD, a seized jumper line and a hole in the CAC pipe near the support bracket.
The other times -usually when climbing a steep grade and once when going down with the Jake brake active- I've only seen a message on the Silverleaf display and the logic engine derate codes to protect the engine (power loss about 5%). And could drive thousands of miles before it happened again. Of course, I had the engine checked by a DD shop and they found again a sticking and squeaking VPOD.
Next to the driver seat I have a round diagnostic plug where the mechanics hoop-up their laptop and do the tests. Hope this helps.

Edwin & Lydia
(Previous owners) 2004 Newell #710, 42'6" , 2 slides, steering tag
DD series 60 EGR
1,000 W solar 

they must have changed from the rectangular to the round in 2004 since ron has the rectangular and edwin the round. the round is far easier to have people check

tom

I think mine is round too,

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701