You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Three wire vs four wire

I had some trouble on my last trip with drivers in the hammer lane not letting me over to pass slower vehicles. A lot of trouble. Just to make sure I was giving a signal with the toad, I got out and looked at the turn signal. The toad was wired with the old school combined tail/blinker setup. It was a hold over from two toads and three coaches ago.

It kind of occurred to me that drivers might reasonably expect the yellow signals to blink on the toad instead of the tail lights. Given the Newell is wired with separate blinkers, it was just a matter of running wire to get the toad blinkers to operate that way.

So, the old school way takes three hot wires. Right, left, and running light.

The separate blinker way requires right left tail and brake. The breakers are right there in the rear electrical panel with easy access.

Maybe it was my imagine, but I did not have nearly as much of an issue getting over after the wiring change.

Just something to think about.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Those with the most lug nuts win....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I’ve sourced amber LED turn signals for the Jeep for this very reason. No one understands why I want all amber turn indicators when seen from behind.  I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks about these details. 

I’ve also installed a strobe/flasher module on the Jeep third brake light. I’m also using a MOPAR flat tow wiring harness that uses the existing Jeep tail/brake/turn wiring but the third brake light is not included in the system. I’ll run a separate brake wire signal back to the third brake light so it works. 

I’m also going to add a strobe/flasher module to the coach third brake lights. 

I believe in “See and Be Seen”... 

JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.