You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore power

Left a campground drove home , shore power was working at campground ,plugged in at home no power.. Restarted generator heard transfer switch engage and power worked fine on generator. Turned off generator heard transfer switch click again.. No power. I checked breaker on pole and reset still nothing.. There are 2 lights on the transfer switch litup when I have generator on or off. Transfer switch is 6 months old. The storage area I keep it at is closed so I don't know how to check and see if the pole itself is dead.. Anyone got another ideas?

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

are you sure a wire didnt come off or get lose on the plug on the cable? i would check that first.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hey Marc: This is why I carry a voltmeter. If you hear the transfer switch clacking as you turn the post breaker on and off without the gen running then the transfer switch is sensing power, if not then it isn't. If it is clacking then I would think you have a built-in surge protector that is sensing something not nice in the power from the post. Another way to test the post is to run a 120v cord from a different circuit then the post you first plugged into and use an adapter to connect it to your 50 amp cord. If the power comes on then the post power is bad, if not then either all the power at your storage is funky or you have a problem in the coach - probably with the surge protector if it is on the power cord side of the transfer switch.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Start at the cord and work your way to the transfer...Do you have a power management system or surge protector before the transfer? If it's not the cord then go to power management...

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Thank you everyone for your assistance problem has been diagnosed.. The 2 lights mean there is power in and out. My problem was the plunger that engages the shore power in the transfer switch has lost it's calibration and will not engage. Newell helped me diagnose it. They had me manually push it down and wedge it engaged with a screwdriver.. Then Monday they will call me and have me recalibrate it when he has his manual near him. Thanks again for your assistance . Hope this solution will help others

Marc Newman

Marc,
I just had to replace one of those transfer switches.

The two red lights mean Input voltage on Line 1 and Line 2 I think.

The attached troubleshooting guide is for a similar (but different unit). It suggests turning off your heavy loads before trying the transfer.

If you end up needing parts, let me know. (I have what I think is one good contactor and the control board).

Cheers,
bill

Attached Files
.pdf 506-00001d_trbl shooting guide for 41260.pdf Size: 267.29 KB  Downloads: 20

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Bill, this was anew transfer switch Newell installed 6 months ago. It still covered by them. Hoping it's just a recalibration. Newell said it was fine to leave for a few days. Just don't start generator with screwdriver holding shore power plunger inSmile

Marc Newman

Marc, Did you try to remove the load before trying transfer? I am wondering if the chattering that they talk about in the troubleshooting guide really happens. Hope you get it sorted out!

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Actually I didn't turn off the load. But maybe I should try that next time. My coach has a power management system that doesn't let everything turn on at the same time

Marc Newman

Marc,

Every time I change from shore power to generator or generator to shore power, ALL large power loads are turned off first. This includes A/Cs, electric heaters, clothes dryer, toaster oven, microwave, etc.

This helps prevent the contactor points from arcing as they open and close. Arching points will pit to the point where they will no longer conduct. Replacement of switch or at least the pitted points is the solution.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area