You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ideas on venting engine exhaust to outside of garage?

richard.....you are not a smart alec, just smart and i just dont want to get exhaust soot on my 20' drywalled ceiling. and you are right, i cant imagine having it running very long at a tie

ron.....unless a smoking deal on a dyno appears in the next few weeks, i think that is out.....and i do not have windows where the exhaust will be. i didnt put any windows where i couldnt see them from my house so only on the front and left side there are windows. there is a man door on the back wall.

i am not going to build in any exhaust fans.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ok Tom .. Here's the deal... " Shuttered Chicken Coop" exhaust fan. Reversible .. Muliple functioned setup... Shop exhaust .. Add filter setup ..paint booth exhaust .. Reverse fan add misters for shop cooler.. Done!! Coop fans $300 or less .. The rest engineered by Tom.. Or Richard.. If he accepts this challenge.

Jimmy

Run a hose out a small doggie door and fill the end of the hose exhaust with screen door mesh to keep out varmints and a piece of fiberglass insulation you change out once every few years to capture exhaust particles. This is the cheap easy fix ..

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I assume that running will be almost exclusively at idle. I would buy silicone coated ducting used around aircraft engines to run from the exhaust pipe about 4ft to a piece of pvc thin wall pipe laid temporarily on the floor when exhaust is needed. Run the pipe to near an outside wall or door. Install a pipe connection through the door with enough pipe on the inside to connect another piece of silicone coated ducting that connects to the pvc pipe. Clamps using cam action versus screw clamps would speed up the process of connecting and disconnecting.

Just the rambling thoughts of a deranged mind currently "improved" with a migraine.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Tom, you may want to consider a large fan on wheels that has the ability to evaporate water. It would serve a dual purpose, to keep you cool when the weather is hot and dry, and use it to vent exhaust through the big garage door on those few occasions that you want to run the engine.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

i ran across this old post and thought i would comment on what i did and how it has worked

i did nothing.....and it has worked great.

i have 2 15 ft high doors in front of the shop and only a man door at the back and 4 high volume ceiling fans. 

backing the coach in to park it doesnt take very long and with the doors open and fans on, no issue.  i back in.

i didnt want exhaust fans and such. 

when i get ready to go, i use shop air to get the coach up to ride height, start the engine and pull out. 

if i need to do something where the engine is idling for a while, i pull straight in and have the rear near the garage door to put the exhaust fumes outside.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I ended up getting some flexible rubber exhaust hose used in commercial garages to run from the generator exhaust stack out the window. I haven’t used it. I ended up installing a Generac LP gas automatic start generator for my house.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Interesting Thread.

Tex, Great advice.

I just built my shop and included a 15" x 2' vent with switched power, in an exterior wall, in a side wall where the exhaust comes out of the Newell . I currently have sheet rock over the inside but I have a attic fan (12" 1,000 cfm) that I intended to install. I have not completed this phase for a couple of items already mentioned.

I air up with shop air.
Aqua hot on electric, pre heats the engine.
Do my pre drive check list
Then Open the door, start, and drive out.

I did this routine for my recent fluid change, completing about a 10 mile loop.

I don't think I run the engine indoors for more than about 1 minute. It could have been less.

Part of my hesitation is buying the flex hose (looking for a cheap deal) and one more thing to store.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.