You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Zip Dee Patio Awning Help Needed

(09-09-2012, 05:01 AM)smagown Wrote:  Todd:
Linda is probably who you are talking to at ZipDee. She really knows her product. I believe the rail comes with the new awning but check to make sure. You will need a rivet gun too. With the cost of freight it 's not worth going thru a dealer, just order from them.

Yep, I believe it was Linda. They sent me everything I would need to install my window awning, including the long, heavy duty rivets, but as Steve said, you will need a rive gun. I carry one with me, because, as everyone here knows, rivets do pop out from time to time. I've got a couple I'm going to fix today.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Actually I am going to order from Linda and have it shipped to the paint shop. They get to put it on.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

OK got the new Patio Awning this past weekend. So I will be putting it on in the next couple of weeks when i find some time. Now recall that i do not have a Patio Awning at this time so this also came with a new awning rail. i have perused the instructions breifly once, but need to look at them more closely before I begin. I also want to hear any tips some of you may have for, especially you Clarke since you just put on a new to the coach window awning.

Reading the instructions the one thing that caught my eye is that where the first support arm attached to the RV over the rear tire, they talk about moving the running light first. Now I use the rivet line one further back so I assume that I am OK becasue it would royally such if not. The Zip Dee folks told me I just needed structural support to mount it to and this rivet line I would assume has got to have that behind it since it is deadcenter of the rear tire and has rivets running the entire length up and down. I need to read things again, but I think the installation may begin with mounting the awning rail so if I can figure out the heighth for that I think that is where I begin. Please comment, question and suggest guys.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd, refresh my mind....the awning rail is the top part mounted above the rain gutter?

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

(10-03-2012, 04:48 PM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Todd, refresh my mind....the awning rail is the top part mounted above the rain gutter?

That is correct.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

OK, yeah, it needs to be mounted along the rivet line because that is where the skin of the coach has been riveted to some internal structural support, and that will give the awning arm the proper support with no "flex" that might damage your aluminum skin. When it gets lighter I'll take some pictures of where, and how my awning support arms are attached. Where they attach will determine where the awning "rail" should be attached.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Makes sense. I will scan in the direction so you can see what they say to do. They say to begin by first mounting the awning rail. However it needs to to 73 inches from the middle of the support arm mount ( this will make sense when you see the directions). I think I need to first mount the two support arm plates then measure up 73 inches and then place the awning rail do it is exactly the height it needs to be. Then I can go back and follow he directions in order from there. Again I think this will make sense when you see the directions.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Hey, I totally forgot to take the pictures, but will do so this morning when the sun comes up. The instructions I got with the window awning were very clear and easy to follow, so I would imagine the same would be true for your application. In addition, do not hesitate to call them. They are very helpful over the phone.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Ok here are the instructions that came with the awning. Again, since I had no awning before I need to put up the new awning rail they sent me. I think however in order to get it to the correct height (73" for a Diesel), that I should first mount the hinges and then measure 73" from there in order to ensure I have the awning rail at the correct heigth.

Note number two is move running light. I can see where I would have had to do that had I used the same rivet line as I think your is on Clarke, but i went one further to the left directly over the tire. Hope that was OK.

Attached Files
.pdf Zip Dee Awning Instructions.pdf Size: 157.87 KB  Downloads: 6

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Here are my pictures.....the first is the front wheel mount. The second is the rear wheel mount. The third is the rear awning rail mount, etc. The fourth is the front awning rail mount, etc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB