You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Should I keep driving?

You might want to check the hoses and hose clamps on the turbo to cac and from cac to intake, just a thought, Low boost can cause low power higher operating temps and black smoke

Forest, My fan only runs when coolant reaches a certain temp. It does not run all the time. After Bernd changed the coolant he cranked to engine and ran it on high idle, the fan did not come on until coolant was hot. This usually happens at about 204 degrees and cools down to the low 190s. On a hot day about every 15 minutes the fan cut on.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

chappell, i will have to check mine to see if it is off at low temp

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Mine is the same as Chappell's

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Update: made it to Nacogdoches, TX. Brought it to the mechanic Bernd Ramspeck (highly recommended by various sources). When I pulled in he listened to the engine running for a few minutes then told me to shut it off. First he said the radiator is kaput (yes he is German!) so he will pull it and have it recored, also will inspect and test the CAC, and change the thermostats. He also said he believes the turbo is going out. So once it cooled off he pulled the hoses and inspected it. There are chips on the blades and scratches on the housing and the shaft is wobbling pretty bad. So he will put in a new turbo. He also will set the valves and check the injectors, etc. since he said by looking at it that has never been done and it is time.
The parts should be in Thursday so we'll put it in his building and it should take a week to finish. Fortunately we made it out of the mountains and got here without having the turbo go to pieces. You can bet I watched the gauges and kept a raw egg under my right foot driving here!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Are the chips on the exhaust side of the turbo?

No Clint they're on the intake side. He said the old air filter either let something through or a piece of it came through. I didn't inspect the old filter when I changed it in Creede. He just looked at the intake side of the turbo, when he pulls it all apart we'll look at the other side.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Wow you are definitely living right Forest. I've had turbo blades come apart on the exhaust side of Ford Powerstrokes before but never the intake side. It made a sound similar to an old school nickel slot machine dumping the jackpot into the coin tray as all the pieces rattled down into the catalytic converter. Definitely glad you caught it before any real major engine damage. Being "coachless" for 82 days (but who's counting?) is no fun.