You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air level system-no air to the front

I'm having a problem with the air level system.
1983 coach.

There is no air to the front in either the manual toggle level setting or travel setting.
The rear works fine in both positions.

I have solenoids in the engine compartment as well as in a forward compartment on the driver side.
Is there one solenoid that sends air to the front? It would seem unusual for 2 or more fail at the same time.

I haven't had any problems or spent any time with the air system yet.

Any ideas for a quick fix?
I'm hoping to leave home for a 9-10 hour trip to MO after work on Friday.

Thanks

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Happened on our '87 earlier this year, both sets of solenoids had the same ground to the body... cleaned it up and had air again. Smile

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

The solenoids in the front compartment will control the front air system. Checking the grounds would be a good first try. The level is likely controlled differently depending on whether you are in level mode or travel mode so there aren't too may common valves in those two positions, at least on the 1990 and newer coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I agree that a ground problem is most likely since they are all tied together at each valve set (front set, back set) on my 93 coach.

The other potential problem would be supply air not getting to the valve set. One way to separate the electrical ground from a air supply problem is to hit the "lower" button for the front and see if those valves work. You could also have someone hold down the "raise" button and then use the tip of a steel screwdriver to feel for magnetism on the tops of the valves (works if you have 6-packs - am not sure about other valve styles). Magnetism equals current flow so if it's there you have an air supply problem.

You didn't mention the "supply" pressure reading so I'm assuming it is normal which suggests air is probably not the problem. On my 93 coach there is a distribution block near the 6-pack for the "supply" air and I believe that is where my "supply" gauge gets its pressure and it is so close to the 6-pack it is unlikely that if the gauge reads normal that there is an air problem.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

the supply air for leveling goes through the six pack. The air for travel goes directly to the hcv and then through the six pack. The symptoms point to neither leveling or travel solenoids opening.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Well, it's working, but I'm not sure why.
I cleaned and re grounded, voltage was good at the wiring block.
Then checked supply air coming into the front compartment, air present coming in one line, wasn't making it past the first solenoid.
Came back out after dinner, turned the key to start again, and the ride system worked.
Tried the leveling system, works as well. Confused
I suspect air wasn't being supplied from the back for the ride system, maybe the first solenoid was sticky for the level???

I think I'll pick up a couple of spares, this is likely to happen again.

Thanks for the tips, the ground was fairly corroded and I did mark the up / down valves for each side so at least a future issue will be easier to change out.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Scott: glad to hear it's working.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I'm glad I saw this posting. Our 82 classic is doing something similar. Only the right front will raise. Nothing else. I will look at the grounds first before I spend 2nd for a tow home.

Spell checker sucks sometimes! 2k for a ride home.

Tony Helms

OK guys it was most likely a poor ground but here is a suggestions, these older MAC Valves are not rebuildable and they are fairly inexpensive. I was having troubles with my rear leveling so I simply replaced all of the solenoid valves, there are only 6 each for the front and 6 each for the rear;

they are only 30+ years old, not bad but it is time.
PS they protect the Distributor so you will need to find out who is in your area but Clarke and I found that the guys near Tom carry better stock!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch