You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

ECM anyone?

Hello.

We were just told that the ECM is going out on our coach. The yellow check engine light has been acting up when I get ready to start it, and would turn off the key and let everything go back through the cycle. When we were in WV a month ago it started taking several times to get the light to go off.

This weel I took it to have the broken stud on front passenger side side replaced and it came on while I was driving the 90 mile trip. The error code was saying EEPROM checksum write error. They did a test and said the following: Active code for non volatile memory failure in the ECM, The ECM is failing and the RTC battery is running on life support.The guy said that when it goes out that the coach will just die and will not be able to start back up.

Has anyone had any issues like this? Any information would be great!

Thanks
Pam

Jeff and Pam Reganall
1996 45' Newell Coach #432 Series 60, Allison 6 Speed
Towing 2012 3/4T Ram Truck loaded with the RZR XP Turbo

There are several used and re-manufactured DDEC III ECM's on Ebay currently. Those would likely have to be reprogrammed to your coaches HP/torque, etc.

They are correct, if the DDEC unit bites the dust, you are stranded. There is a DDEC override switch on the dash on my coach but it is only meant to get you off of a busy road onto the shoulder and non-volatile memory failure leaves you in deep stuff.

There should be codes on your DDEC that an authorized Detroit dealer can use to get the correct program for another DDEC III.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Jeff
I had exactly the same problem with mine. Memory failure code.
I took it to the DD dealer and he told me that he could just reprogram it and it would be fine. My ECM was several updates behind. They wiped the memory clean and then tried to reprogram it, but the ECM would not take the update, because of the memory failure. They could not load back in the old program because the way DD works is once you wipe a program clean the only one available is the latest version. So there I was, I had gone to DD with a working (but degraded) ECM and they made it so my ECM was worthless, I was angry. After a lively discussion they sold me a lightly used ECM at a reasonable deal.
My ECM had been used by the PO for several years with the memory failure.
As Michael has suggested, I would suggest looking for a used ECM on EBay,(you have to know what version of ECM you have, II,III,IV etc) get it programmed for your bus. Your ECM may be worth a few bucks to those that reprogram them and they may be able to fix it.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

Michael,

Thanks! Was just wondering if anyone had or knew of issues with them! Sad thing is we are suppose to leave for FL Friday afternoon taking my Mother with us! So its another bite the bullet and do it!

Thanks again
Pam

Peter,

Thank you for the information! Always better if others have experienced something similar and can pass on valuable information!

Thanks
Pam

Jeff and Pam Reganall
1996 45' Newell Coach #432 Series 60, Allison 6 Speed
Towing 2012 3/4T Ram Truck loaded with the RZR XP Turbo