You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Technical opinions

After using a stacker for the last year there are several things I have been pondering. The most interesting part is all of the trailers seem to have both or all 3 axles right next to each other. While I understand this would reduce tire wear. It makes it difficult to exit the car once it's in the trailer because of the wheel wells.  

What would happen if you built a trailer  with one axle in front and one at the rear and in essence "suspended" the load between them.  I know reduced tongue weight to almost zero. And you would have the whole inside of the trailer free of tire wells except the back and front 2 1/2 feet. Would make top to bottom doors a possibility  for ease of getting in and out of the trailer when loading.. 

I know there may be a tire scrub issue on the front tires but what if you gave them a little turning ability kind of like a steer tag. Or the front wheels on a tow vehicle. Then have a way to lock them in place when backing up.. Please I know I must be missing something..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc,

The scrub on the front tires would be more than you imagine if they are not free to pivot. Once, I forgot to unlock the steering on the toad. Two hundred miles of interstate completely wrecked the tires.

At one time Paul Tracy had such a coach as you describe, that he pulled with his Newell. He sold it, and I have a vague recollection of him not liking how it handled, specifically that it was impossible to back.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. Let's say it was allowed to turn like the front tires of a toad but also had the ability to lock in place when you needed to back up. I can't imagine it would be hard to set up a mechanism to lock it in place. The trailer toad which I tried had a similar setup. Allowed 20degrees of turning and had locking pins for backing up.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc

I think I have seen 4 she'll 2 axel trailor sat the tack. The fronts pivot from what I recall. It must be out there and if I would think the manufactures would make them if they work.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I've seen horse trailers set up that way, not many however. While the can be backed - well it's a acquired skill, but not with a Newell...

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135