You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yet Another Classic Newell Coach Getting Repowered!

Love the pictures. Keep them coming.

It's clear that there is no room between the crank pulley and the rear for a radiator. Looks like you went with the hydraulic. You may or may not be aware that Newell used a two speed setup for the Series 60. On the low speed the fan barely turns, and on high it will be a hurricane. That was their solution to keeping the efficiency in check. I do know that when my two speed setup failed, I lost over 0.5 mpg due to the fan running on high all the time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Looking good Jon.
I understand Mike’s part time over the warm months, has he finished it yet?

I think your side radiator is going to stay cleaner, mine has been, the rear radiator used to get dust sucked up off the road.  Now I have clean side air on the driver side for cooling and intake air on the other.  I’m running the hydraulic fan, haven’t noticed a problem, it runs pretty slow generally, I think the scoops on the sides pull in quite a bit of air even at slower speeds.  The other benefit is great access in the back for maintenance.

I’m interested to get a road report, I do pretty well with 350hp, even though your coach is a bit heavier, 500 hp will be great.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Better late than never, I guess... I was lucky to get my 4th back surgery late last month. Idaho is in crisis care because of covid, but hospitals are able to make exceptions to elective surgeries and my neurosurgeon was able to get me scheduled. Still in recovery and receiving physical therapy at home, but hope to be able to travel to Missouri later this year and fetch my motorhome.

The motor is in and running with a fresh rebuild. The transmission is installed, worked flawlessly in the donor bus. They're currently not communicating correctly over the CANbus. The fellow that Mike contracted to do the wiring apparently doesn't know electronic components very well and he doesn't have anyone else to help him.

I bought a Range Rover that I've set up for flat towing. My goal is to load it up with tools and drive it back to Missouri and figure out the wiring issues. I've got the Cummins Inline/Insite hardware/software to reprogram the ECM from the Denver Transit 280hp to a 2000 Wanderlodge with the ISM ZF 450hp. I have the BlueFire adapter and an Android tablet loaded with the software to run it to monitor the driveline on my trip home. I've also got a tool to capture all the CANbus signals just in case the BlueFire program doesn't capture everything necessary to get the engine and transmission communicating properly. I'll also have a yet to be purchased programable body control module (BCM) to communicate with the ECM (engine control module) just in case the multiplex system from the donor bus was doing something that I haven't predicted.

Below is a picture of the manual device installed to replace the hydraulic fan motor.  

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

That’s great news on getting your back in better shape. I hope all works well for you, and I know you are salivating to get your hands on something that you have been noodling on albeit remotely for years.

Thanks for the update.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )