You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

buddy plug

Thanks Gordon, that was a very informative response.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a couple questions about the buddy plug. Can it be used as to plug in shore power? Also, has anyone ever used the buddy plug as a back up power source for a house? I'm thinking with a 22k generator, wire it to the house like a house generator for power when house power goes down?

Thanks,
Jerry

The purpose of the buddy plug is to power another motorhome. It should be active whether you are on shore power or generator. Now if you want to just run an extension cord from the buddy plug into the house and unplug your refrigerator from the wall outlet and plug it into the coach's buddy plug. That is not an electrical safety issue.
Now as to powering your house, you have a separate issue.

To legally tie any other power source into your house per the electrical code, you must have a transfer switch that disconnects the electric company's power line from your house's electrical system to be able to activate another power source. To use your coach generator to power your house, you would need to install the same type transfer switch on your house that would be required if you were installing any other standby generator. The power company does not want you to put their employees in danger by back-feeding power in their system when they are trying to restore power.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

To add to Michaels excellent response. If I interpret your first question, can it be used as to plug into shore power. Yes it could but it is not a good move for two reasons. One, it would require a hot Male plug. Two, the buddy plug is in the circuit after the transfer switch, so if you were using it to power the coach and accidentally or intentionally cranked the generator, the generator would come on line out of phase with the grid. Grid wins, generator loses.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking of having an electrician install a transfer switch were I could plug in my buddy power to the house, instead of purchasing a home generator. A home backup power 22kw generator cost about $8,600 and the coach is parked next to the house, so maybe it's a way to save money and have a backup generator. I was thinking others have done it, but maybe not and their may be a technical reason.

With a transfer switch that meets the electrical code, there is no reason you could not do that.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

The Key to providing a safe soloution is to come up with a safe replacement for what would normally be a male plug between your coach and the transfer switch. I believe there may be a way to safely provide power to your home with your coach. 

Meltric corporation specializes in multi pin  plugs and connectors used for portable and gen power, often for municipalities.

Meltric.com

Other manufacturers would be Appleton Electric, and Cooper Industries, Crouse Hinds Division.

For your safety, I would use an electrician who is an industrial electricain. They are more familiar with what you are trying to achieve. This is above the pay grade of big box transfer switch installers.

Best wishes !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

[attachment=7478]A quickly drawn up diagram to answer your question.  There are many ways to accomplish your goal, this is one.

Select the branch circuits you want to protect.  Purchase a 100A 240V MLO (main lug only) 16 circuit  panel which will become the "protected panel".  route the selected circuits into this panel.  Acquire a 100A 2P 120/240V transfer switch, either manual or automatic and feed it from a 100A breaker from your main panel.  From the transfer, feed the "protected panel".  No breaker is required since the circuit is protected by the 100A in your main panel.  Purchase an INLET for 50A  3P 4W 120/240V and mount in a weather proof enclosure.  An Inlet is a male pin panel mounted device.  connect it to the "emergency" side of the transfer.  A cord capable of handling 50A with 4 wires (6-4 SO or =) will serve as the feeder from your coach to the transfer.  it will have a plug on one end and a connector (a cord mounted receptacle) on the other.  

attached is a quick drawing for reference.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Well, that didn't come out correctly........operator error!

[attachment=7479]

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks for the information. Jerry