You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Blocking the front of coach

When I get back home from summer travels, I plan to make a set, but I want to figure out a way to put wheels on them. Too heave to carry.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I thought that one 6" wheelbarrow wheel at the high end of the ramp on it's side would not get in the way when using and all you need to do to walk it is turn the ramp on it's side and lift up the opposite end and wheel away.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Tom

Thanks for posting the pics.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

so from what i can tell....

these are 22" wide, 8 1/2" high, and about 8' long? the flat part on top of the ramp is 6' long. so i am assumming the ramp part is about 2 foot

appears to be three 2x6 edgewise, with a double layer of 3/4" plywood on top. and bracing on the inside.

so to estimate weight.

a 2x6 kiln dried weights about 16lbs. so 3 of those and another for sideways bracing. is 60lbs about. plus the plywood (essentially 1 4x8 sheet) is another 60 pounds, so ....

each one of these weighs about 100-120 lbs.

some pretty heavy things.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for posting the pics Tom...making a set is definitely in my future.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Reviving this thread because I want to build something like these ramps but would like them to be in two pieces (each side). It looks like the dual tires would ride directly in the middle of the plywood sections when on the top of the ramps. Am I looking at these pictures correctly?
Ramp Considerations:
2x10’s from HD:
TOP layer: (2) 6’ long 2x10 to cover both dual tires
Next lower layer: 8’ long (double) plywood OR 2x10 running the other direction from the top layer (sideways) for shear strength (maybe saying that wrong)
New lower layer: 10’ long duplicate of above layer
Repeat layer to desired height - is 8” enough to crawl under coach (with air system DOWN all the way)?
Lowest layer will be a 1/4” steel plate for good measure bolted or screwed to bottom of lowest wood layer.
Really want these to be in two pieces for portability and not weigh a ton...
Should the layers be bolted or screwed (or glued) together?
What does the collective wisdom reveal please?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40