You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

CLASSIC WINDOW REPLACEMENT

looks outstanding

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Looks Great!

Someone spent some time on those rims. 

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hard to believe that's a 39 year old coach, looks absolutely fabulous!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Looks great Keith.
I like the bullet clearance lights.
Window awnings are on my (wife's) list of projects.
I'm going to pressure wash the peeling clear coat and see if I can get mine to shine even close to yours.

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Thank-you for the kind words everyone! I have spent alot of time and money on it. It has been a fun project. Its a blast to drive and get lots of lookers and thumbs ups on the road. I replaced the original bullet lights with led ones from 
http://www.raneystruckparts.com/ 
 The rear ones were a little tricky because they're red, I had to buy separate bulbs and machine em a bit to make them work. Red bullet lights mainly came only on busses and are not common.  Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

(05-26-2015, 12:09 PM)Retro Wrote:  Finally replacing the nasty old windows for my 77. I decided to rebuild my original windows, its more work but I wanted a certain shade of blue tint.  When the coach was repainted they also painted the frames so I have to strip them with aircraft stripper, 
I wanted the original anodized aluminum look. The new tempered glass only comes in 1/4" , the originals are 3/16. The window felt I purchased from penninsula glass is made for 1/4" so it will work well.

I'm working on replacing the windows of my 68 Newell.  I'm learning that's easier said than done!  I'm glad I found your post.  Would you mind sharing where you purchased your glass and felt?  Pricing would be helpful too.  Did you have a glass place make the cuts and then you installed it or did you have a place put it all in?  I've been trying to find a place even just to purchase the glass and I'm not having much luck (NW Wisconsin).  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The one quote I've managed to get is for about $300-400 per window just for the glass, not including any installation. Seems high to me but I have nothing to compare it to.

Your windows turned out awesome, nice work!  Although not probably consistent for the age of the coach, I'm leaning toward going with dark privacy glass.  I'll gladly listen to comments regarding that as well.  

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ryan
1968 30' Newell
Number ??

Hi Ryan, cool coach!!
I still haven't received a bill for my glass, they quoted me 10.00 sq/ft and .50 an inch for edge polishing. (Only the sliders need it)  My glass is all tempered safety glass. It originally had laminated glass that runs around 25.00 sq/ft. Tempered is the way to go. The blue I chose is commonly used in big office buildings etc. I went through apple auto glass in grande prairie, they sent tempates in to can-am glass (wholesale suppier) where they make tempered glass. They cut the glass annealed then temper it after. Not just any glass shop can do this but they should be able to order it if you take your old glass in for templates. For my side windows, the big ones were all the same so only one had to come out for templates, same as the small ones. I also did my back window and the door. I did all the r&r the glass place only supplied the glass. After I stripped the frames I had to use paint stripper to remove the paint that was on them, I wanted the original anodized finish. Then pressure washed and cleaned them well. I ordered the window felt from Tim at penninsula glass. Install the felt before you install the glass. Don't forget to cut slots in it for the weep holes!!
 For the center bar I replaced the fuzzy part with a generic one the glass shop had. The hair was too long so I gave it a trim with my upholstery shears, then glued it in place in the metal bar. Then windex the groove and install it on the glass
   I wrapped the edges of the glass with renwrap pipeline tape (its like a urathane black tape) it comes in different thicknesses and widths. Oilfield supply places will have it and its cheap.  Once you have your edges wrapped (solid glass) spray them with windex and slide them into the frame. Once its in you can trim off the excess tape. Install your sliding glass and screw the frame back together. 
  Install new screens (kind of a pain) but if you roll the screen into the groove first then roll the rubber in it makes it easier.
 For the window to coach sealant I ran a bead of clear silicone around the outside edge and let it set overnight so it didn't squish out, rather it acted like an o-ring seal. After the window is screwed in I cleaned around the frame with laquer thinner to clean it well, masked the frame right to the edge all the way around then on the body also but about a 1/4" away from the frame. I used 1/4" fineline tape to do the radiuses then 1/2" green. I ran a bead of black sikaflex around the frame, wet my finger and pushed it smooth all the way around. I removed the tape right away and it leaves a very nice crisp even clean bead. Use laquer thinner on a small rag for any imperfections.   There's nothing worse than an ugly messy silicone job!! It was all time consuming but well worth the effort!! It would cost a small fortune to have a glass shop do all this work.
  If your handy you can save yourself some money.
 I think your coach would look good with a dark tint, if you find a glass shop that can get you the tempered glass they should be able to give you some samples so you can pick out what you like the best. We had some friends come over that are color savvy and helped us pick out ours. Its always nice to have a second opinion and were happy with our choice.
 Hope this helps!!

Love old schoolHeart

(08-02-2015, 09:21 PM)Retro Wrote:  Hi Ryan, cool coach!!
I still haven't received a bill for my glass, they quoted me 10.00 sq/ft and .50 an inch for edge polishing. (Only the sliders need it)  My glass is all tempered safety glass. It originally had laminated glass that runs around 25.00 sq/ft. Tempered is the way to go. The blue I chose is commonly used in big office buildings etc. I went through apple auto glass in grande prairie, they sent tempates in to can-am glass (wholesale suppier) where they make tempered glass. They cut the glass annealed then temper it after. Not just any glass shop can do this but they should be able to order it if you take your old glass in for templates. For my side windows, the big ones were all the same so only one had to come out for templates, same as the small ones. I also did my back window and the door. I did all the r&r the glass place only supplied the glass. After I stripped the frames I had to use paint stripper to remove the paint that was on them, I wanted the original anodized finish. Then pressure washed and cleaned them well. I ordered the window felt from Tim at penninsula glass. Install the felt before you install the glass. Don't forget to cut slots in it for the weep holes!!
 For the center bar I replaced the fuzzy part with a generic one the glass shop had. The hair was too long so I gave it a trim with my upholstery shears, then glued it in place in the metal bar. Then windex the groove and install it on the glass
   I wrapped the edges of the glass with renwrap pipeline tape (its like a urathane black tape) it comes in different thicknesses and widths. Oilfield supply places will have it and its cheap.  Once you have your edges wrapped (solid glass) spray them with windex and slide them into the frame. Once its in you can trim off the excess tape. Install your sliding glass and screw the frame back together. 
  Install new screens (kind of a pain) but if you roll the screen into the groove first then roll the rubber in it makes it easier.
 For the window to coach sealant I ran a bead of clear silicone around the outside edge and let it set overnight so it didn't squish out, rather it acted like an o-ring seal. After the window is screwed in I cleaned around the frame with laquer thinner to clean it well, masked the frame right to the edge all the way around then on the body also but about a 1/4" away from the frame. I used 1/4" fineline tape to do the radiuses then 1/2" green. I ran a bead of black sikaflex around the frame, wet my finger and pushed it smooth all the way around. I removed the tape right away and it leaves a very nice crisp even clean bead. Use laquer thinner on a small rag for any imperfections.   There's nothing worse than an ugly messy silicone job!! It was all time consuming but well worth the effort!! It would cost a small fortune to have a glass shop do all this work.
  If your handy you can save yourself some money.
 I think your coach would look good with a dark tint, if you find a glass shop that can get you the tempered glass they should be able to give you some samples so you can pick out what you like the best. We had some friends come over that are color savvy and helped us pick out ours. Its always nice to have a second opinion and were happy with our choice.
 Hope this helps!!

That really does help! Thanks for taking the time to write all that, I sincerely appreciate it. I'll let you know what I figure out!

Ryan
1968 30' Newell
Number ??

No problem Ryan, hopefully the info is usefull to others as well.
 Another option would be to have penninsula glass build you complete new windows. I was going to do that but we wanted the blue tint and for me shippng was an issue.
 Heres the link
 http://www.motionwindows.com/rv-windows/ 
 Ask for Tim, he can give you a quote on new ones or just supply the felt. Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart

Just paid my bill at the glass shop, he went easy on my I think.
5 large sliding windows, 10 pcs
3 small sliding windows, 6 pcs
1 door sliding window, 2 pcs
1 large rear window, 
1 interior mirror was about 16"x24"
And the center bar fuzzy stuff
total $1000.00 Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart