You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

lost all HWH hydraulic fluid

chester, you need to make sure that your generator slide is secure if you go anywhere. you dont want it to shoot out the front on you while moving

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

On the 95, the rear of the box was bolted. On the 99, it is welded. I don't know about Chesters. The IFS takes up a whole lot of space right behind the gen box, whereas with the straight axle on the 95, it was open.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes, I had thought of this and will make certain that it is secure, if and when I get it open. I sent both of you an email a few minutes ago.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Speaking of things out while moving, I did a double take yesterday when I saw a Country Coach westbound on I-20 outside of Ft. Worth driving with rear curbside slide extended. Not something I have seen before.

Update. After much investigation and taking photos with a selfie, we have concluded the following: the generator slide retract hose is leaking badly where if is connected to the cylinder under the generator and when any slide switch in the coach is actuated, it drains all hydraulic fluid for all slides; with the tank refilled with Dextron the room slides work normally when the defective hose in the HWH compartment is removed from the manifold and both the hose and manifold fitting are plugged; the generator slide will extend and lock pin disengage when in this configuration without any leakage; the generator slide will retract with a hand push when the extend hose is located and removed from the manifold and the retract hose is unplugged with both hoses emptying into a container; due to the location of the generator slide cylinder anchor bolt in a sealed steel box, the generator and perhaps the slide frame will have to me removed to replace this defective hose. I have photos of all of this if anyone is interested.

Finally, all slides work normally and the generator slide can be extended. However, it is a simple matter to retract the generator slide by unplugging the retract hose and removing the extend hose from the manifold. Bottom line = no hurry to spend the time and money remove the generator to replace the retract hose since it is easy to have access to the generator and 120v compressor located in the box. Many thanks to Richard and Tom for their knowledge and holding my hand during this event.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

I started this post back in September and sometime in late spring or early summer I need to have the generator removed and the hydraulic hoses replaced. I am thinking of using Leo, Tom's friend in Mesa, to do this work since his shop is much closer to me than driving several thousand miles to Newell in Oklahoma. I am asking for information from anyone who has had their front slide generator removed. I would like to know what to be aware of. Example, does the exhaust pipe just slide out when the generator is removed or is there something that has to be done to free it up? Thanks in advance.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

the exhaust pipe just slides out. there is a "rim" that is pressed into the pipe that is fixed and it has a high temp packing rope in it to seal the smooth pipe that is on the genny. at least it is that way on at least one newell....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Disconnect the fuel lines and cap them. There are several electrical cables that will have to be disconnected. A pallet jack works as well as a fork lift if you can use wood blocking to support the generator. It's heavy at the back on the generator end. Thanks to Gordon @"bestgenman" for showing me this.

A small guy like me can wriggle over the top of the engine into the compartment IF the gen is pulled all the way out to its last roller and supported at the front. I had to do this to fix a broken safety latch, and I didn't want to disconnect the fuel and electrical

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Tom and Richard. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey