You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Supply air

(10-01-2015, 07:05 AM)77newell Wrote:  Danny: that picture shows what I have in my 93. The first item on the left is the pressure switch for the low air pressure warning light on the dash. The second item on the left is the PPV. It should pass air once the pressure on the left (inlet from air tank) exceeds 65-75psi, will be closed until then.

Richard is correct in that the two valves need to be open when operating the coach normally.

Thanks!
Danny

To All Gurus, thanks for the help! The new PPV (or DOT valve) got air started to the front and was showing some supply air, but it didn't matter because of the noise of the air leak!! That has turned out to be the air seat control valve and tubing. $15 for tubing and connections along with $158 for a new seat valve (# 917521-01 kit per ISRI) and overnight shipping should have me moving this week. Just proves 'stuff happens' because there is just no way the mechanics could have caused this. I suspect the tubing blew which broke the 24 year old plastic valve connection, which made the PPV slam shut and jam. After 24 years, it is amazing what can break! We could find no marks where it had ever been changed since new.
Nothing indicates the seat valve has ever been moved since new, either. More when new valve arrives and we get it installed.

Danny: I've been systematically work on my way through my 93 coach changing out the plastic body push-connect fittings as they seem to be leaking one after another. I get one fixed and another starts leaking.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(10-06-2015, 07:33 AM)77newell Wrote:  Danny: I've been systematically work on my way through my 93 coach changing out the plastic body push-connect fittings as they seem to be leaking one after another. I get one fixed and another starts leaking.

Thanks! Which couplings are you using? Brass or a newer plastic?
Danny

Brass. Not to say they are better since the plastic ones lasted 21 years. I just like brass since it won'T get microcracks with age.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Not that I am strongly opinionated but when I find a leaking fitting I always replace with a DOT compression fitting. Most of the grizzled gurus carry an assortment of DOT fittings. Don't forget to add an assortment of splices to the kit. I do have a few push on splices for emergency use

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Dear Gurus (and Especially TOM for allowing me to disturb his lunch!),

Went to pick up coach after having seat valve installed and noticed coach leaning to left and did dumb thing of attempting to level the coach.
Coach went to the ground and would not raise! After good idea from Tom, and priority help from HWH and Newell to the mechanic, he determined
the previous owner had been manually raising coach. That explained the funny wiring and open jumpers.

So Pete manually raised coach to height we were used to and it goes to Newell in the morning for sideswipe repair and suspension repair!

It was very good advice (from Jimmy) to buy a coach still in production and still supported!!

Add to that the excellent knowledge and help from the Gurus and I think we are going to make it after all!

Thanks again to all!
Danny
# 277

A Ha!

Of course a PO didn't do that because everything was working as it should. I suspect that either the height control valves are not working as they should, or the six packs are not working as they should.

Danny, if you can, pay close attention to what is done to correct this system. Understanding of how the system is constructed and how it works is one of the things that any owner probably should spend some time studying because a failure in the system is one of the few things that can leave you on the side of the road.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Just had same problem. Had tickets for Charlie Pride. Check grandson out of school 2 hrs early. Load coach. Fire up 8v92. Brake system pressure built fine. Supply side would not build air at all. Called Newell. "Sounds like PPV and possibly bad air leak". E-mail tickets to a friend in Albuquerque. Called Michael Day & had him e-mail me some of Richard's air system diagrams and pictures. That was a big help in getting job done quickly. Told Fran "At least we don't have far to walk to get home. Just from the garage to the house." Called roadside mechanic. Problem was that the coach was all the way down on the bags. Could not get under it to get to the PPV. Tried shop air to to quick connect in engine bay. That just added air to brake system. Still nothing to supply side. Tried to get into supply side at the oil reservoir. No luck there either. Was finally able to get supply system to pressure up by hooking into the line that goes to the well pressure switch for 110v compressor shut off. Got coach to raise on air air bags. cribbed it up & got PPV replaced. 8v92 builds air on both brake & supply sides now. Mechanic did not have valve in stock Friday evening. Told him not a huge hurry since we had already missed concert. He pulled old valve assembly out Monday & ordered new PPV . It did not get in until late Tuesday. Got it back together this morning.

Glad you got to the source of the problem and have a new valve now in place now. Sorry you missed Charlie Pride. That should have been a great concert.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com