You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

TV on lift behind couch

(10-02-2015, 06:20 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  6.9-11.5' is the recommended viewing distance for a 55" HD TV at 1080p.  That distance increases to 10-20' at 720p.  For standard definition (480) anything closer than 20' is going to result in seeing the pixels on a 55" TV.  Typical rule of thumb for HD TV is a minimum of about 1.5 times the diameter of the screen (hence the 6.9' for a 55") however, THX recommends for watching movies and being "immersed" a 40 degree field of vision for the TV is appropriate which would be about 5.5'-8' for a 55" HDTV.

If you go up to a 4KUltra TV (and assuming there was 4KUltra programming available) you could be in the 3.8-7.0' minimum distance for a 55" HDTV.  I find that about 10.5' seems to the sweet spot for an 80" HDTV.

We are about 13 ft from our 80 inch in our family room.   Darlene says I can't get a bigger one since it wouldn't fit between the windows right. Ha

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Gang,

See attached pics.  The 55" Tv is 114" from the opposite sofa.  The cabinet is 9" deep and the "opening" is about 6" deep.

Note the little "hat" on top of TV that covers the "opening" when the TV is in the down position.  The ends help the hat find its way into the opening.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
bill

ps.  The remote control is from ActivatedDecor (activated decor.com).  I think this is the manufacturer of the lift.  It is very expen$ive but is reliable and super quiet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

bill, it looks very cool.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

that is cool!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Bill, that's great.  Does the dogs block you view most of the time?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

They do spend a fair amount of time blocking TV when my teams are on, but when their teams come on...they pay attention.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Yes will DIY it. I found a ram that should work and will try to use Arduino and have a bracket and wall mount built for it. Or I may just get the one on Amazon...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

Good luck with the build. Please post pics about progress! Also, measure twice! The TV cabinet will push the sofa forward and I was careful to make sure that the jackknife bed in the TV sofa would work with the normal hide-a-bed in the other sofa. What I did not pay attention to is the amount of room the cabinet would take when the slide is closed. I now have around 13 inches of walk way to get to drivers seat when the slides are closed. Plenty of room to walk, but a little tight if you have folks sitting on sofas when traveling.

This probably won't affect you with your two slide configuration, but I wanted to make a note in case others decided on doing this.

The other thing that I could have done better is the video source to the TV. I ran a single HDMI cable, but wish that I had run two.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill, thank you SO much for sharing the pictures! That helps a ton!
Did you DIY this or who did it? Which lift did you use? Lift Cost?
My wife already claimed the space on either side of the TV lol...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Newell did the upgrade and lift was $$$$$. Think the lift is made by http://www.activateddecor.com. Newell has been using these lifts for years and are very comfortable with them. I guess no one wants to change even though there are probably better lifts for this application. The lift in my application is rated for a 90lb TV even though my Samsung is only about 20lbs.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama