You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

OTA TV and Satellite Antenna

I have installed the Winegard SK-SWM3 Trav'ler DirectTV RV High Definition Slimline Satellite - HD on my 04 coach with no problems. I have had over the years 3 different in motion dishes. and 2 stationary HD dishes. I have been using Direct tv for the last 15 years and been very happy. I have 3 receivers (1 genie and 2 mini genie in the M/C). I am fixing to change the 2 mini genie to HD dvr. I am changing because with the Genie in the front and Mini in the rear their is a few second delay so if we are both on the same network the delay is annoying. Plus you can back dvr up to 2 hrs when you turn on also this allow you to record 6 different program at the same time. I only got the Genie and mini because i thought there were going to be wireless but they were not and you don't need the wireless. In my house I have 4 HD dvr's. I use the TN local service for all receivers plus I have East & West cover in the M/C and TN residence. I am using the SWM Technology both location and when I am home in TN the M/C in the barn feed off of the house dish. In my opinion there is no need for an in-motion ant because you can watch recording when moving. I use all DVR's everywhere. All my TV are LED HD and I have 2 42" and 1 32" in the coach. With the SWM Tech you can use a HD DVR with one coaxial feed. You can mount the receiver close to the TV so you can feed a HDMI for HD. The SWM hook up make existing wiring in old coaches OK for HD TV. You also can get RD Remote control so you don't have to see the receiver. Hope this help because I am not very good in explaining thing.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I have Directv HD and the Winegard Trav'ler connected to a Genie receiver with a Mini in the bedroom of my RV similar to Ron Skeen. Of course with an RV, I qualify for LA and NY channels plus Tucson when I am in that area. In September we experienced high winds while in the Oregon coast area and since then the motor has been stalling. Recently it has operated without stalling, but if it stalls again I may have to return it to Winegard for repair or replacement. There are two types of stalls, one can be repaired easily in place, but the other requires return to Winegard. I am waiting for it to stall again to see which problem I have.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks for all the advice! It sounds like most of you are using DirecTV - I like Dish but would love to have the Sunday Ticket on DirecTV... I have to get rid of the old dome antenna (it's ugly anyway) and may get one of the Travler units. We don't ever watch TV in the bedroom but I will probably hook it up anyway.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Steve, when you installed the Winegard Road Star antenna did you install the Windgard power supply or did you just leave the Braun power supply.  My Braun power supply is working and I was planning on leaving it.  Are there any reason I should change it?  I have completely taken the Braun antenna off the roof and tomorrow planning on installing the Winegard.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Did you just replace the whole antenna and folding mast with the Winegard Road Star or did you use the folding mast? My mast doesn't seem to be working but maybe I have to do something other than push the button... I may need a good TV antenna tomorrow as these heavy storms hit Hannibal, MO ...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I used the Braun power supply.
I took all of the Braun off including the mast. The Road Star mounts to the roof and doesn't move.
It is round , hence omni-directional, works fine everywhere I go.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Thanks Steve, that is what I am going to do,  just leave the Braun power supply in tack.  The roof is now down to the bare metal.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Back to OTA Braund antenna: is the a way to test if the motor is working?  can I Hotwire the motor and Of so which wires would be for up or down, left and right?
I have the diagram from the manual but it is pretty vague, not sure what the magnets are for...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

i dont have one, but i would guess the magnetic contacts are just that. and probably when next to each other, complete the circuit that says the antenna is either down or still not all the way down. like magnetic window alarm system ones.

does it go up and down and also rotate? if so, then there is just two motors. dc motors are simple. one polarity goes one way and the other polarity goes the other way

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So I robbed the braun base to install my dipole antenna for wifi connection. I found the green white wires to be the up down. I used a garden variety window up down switch to raise and lower the antenna.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )