You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leak detection tools

Mine would be the case of "Didn't" find the leaks! I thought I found a doozie of a leak but the aux tank still drops to 0 in about 30 min. The hunt will continue after the interior work is done. Tom, do you think Lou would still take on private work? I need to call and schedule him to replace a few hardened fuel lines.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Is there a detailed list of components listed anywhere for Steve’s tool? We’ll call it the parts list for dummies version.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

i think you guys are overthinking this. the isolation valves and test jigs were just made up of fittings, brake tubing, common gauges and ball valves. i will bet every one of us that has them they are different because we made them out of what we had plus any parts we needed to add. plus it will depend if you are doing 1/4 inch lines or 3/8 inch lines. you need to make up one that fits your need.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So I am going to confess to one of my knuckle head quirks. The reason I won’t list the parts is because I want the user to think about the purpose of the device, look at the picture, and spend some time in the plumbing aisle at Lowe’s learning about different fittings.

Why? Well, I am a knucklehead.

But more importantly, every Newell owner out there is going to deal with air leaks. And repairing them requires you to know air fitting types and sizes. No better opportunity than starting with the leak isolation device.

As you plumb it into different systems you will need to adapt to the fitting you are plumbing into. Again, you will need to know size and type of fitting to make that work.

My suggestion for those just starting this journey is to spend an hour in the plumbing aisle and buy pipe plugs in 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 NPT ( that is National Pipe Thread, the tapered thread you see in typical house work) Drill holes in the plugs and string them on a piece of wire.

Buy some cheap 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 nylon tubing. Put short pieces on your wire stringer.

Also buy a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 compression fitting. Yeah, put them on the wire too.

If you can’t find the above items, ask for help.

Now you have a portable and ready made size and thread identification tool that will match over 90% of what you will find on the coach. Soon you will be able to identify size and thread by sight.

There is method to my madness, or perhaps it’s just madness.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

That’s what I needed. I knew I was hungry for something as I was typing earlier and I couldn’t put my finger on it until I read your post Richard…breadcrumbs!

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

I bought the VOscope SoundStik kit SS-1000 and didn't find a single leak. I have to admit that my hearing might be a little compromised by growing up in the 60's and racing un-muffled motorcycles...

After reading all the posts, I will attach a BlueTooth transmitter to my receiver and use my Bose noise-canceling headphones on my next attempt. I read reviews prior to purchasing anything, but they're not that reliable. This is a review for the device I bought;
M. Brunsmann
5.0 out of 5 stars Works great
Reviewed in the United States on June 3, 2013
I am an a/c contractor. I have used for years the amprobe ultrasound leak detector with much success. When I needed a new one I decided to try this because of the price. After one use I am happy to say this works as good or better. The visual bars don't work like the amprobe but the headphones work great and are very sensitive for small refrigerant leaks

This is a review for the device Steve bought;
Amazon Customer
1.0 out of 5 stars Spend the extra money and buy the Superior AccuTrak
Reviewed in the United States on July 12, 2017
This replaced a Superior AccuTrak that I used for years until I broke it. I thought I would try a cheaper detector so I bought this inficon but it's been a wast of money. I found a leak in an evaporator with the Superior AccuTrak just before I broke it, I changed out the evaporator and still had the old one in my scrap bin, after not finding a leak with the inficon I pressurized the old evaporator and the inficon wouldn't hear it. I borrowed my friends accutrak and it found the leak right away. Inficon is worthless in my experience.
8 people found this helpful

Both the recommended ultrasonic leak detectors are substantially more money that Steve and I spent, geared more for professionals that have a daily need. I will eventually get mine to work and when I do I will post an update,

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Here is a leak detection tool I made yesterday. Today I am on my way to pick my Newell Coach #701.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Nicely done!!!!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

looks great. some of the airlines are 1/4 inch and some are 3/8 on mine.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

encantotom Wrote:looks great. some of the airlines are 1/4 inch and some are 3/8 on mine.

tom

Thanks, but I wonder,

(1) do you make a separate leak detection tool for 1/4 and 3/8 lines, or
(2) do you use the same tool, but employ some type of 1/4 to 3/8 conversation fitting to make it suitable for 3/8? or
(3) do you use the same tool, but unscrew the 1/4 lines at the Tee from both ends, then re-connect with two 3/8 lines?

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control