You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New-to-me Newell; What to look for?

After searching for a few years, somewhat casually, it's time to get more serious about my first Newell. This wojld replace my 01 Monaco Exec.
I recently came across an '07 Newell, front entry, 45' with Valid flat floors. We spent a half-day running the slides in and out, running the genset and the CAT engine.
There were no apparent serious air leaks as the front run bay compressor may have cycled once every ten or 15 minutes with the engine off.
I've heard of window problems in Newell's of this vintage and some people mumble negatively about the CAT engine.
This coach has a little over 56k miles, bath-and-a-half but six year old tires which I'd replace (or have replaced). The AquaHot fired right up after sitting (according to the sales guy) for several weeks. No smoke from the AH and or the two other engines.
I would love to hear comments from the Newell crowd on what to look for "behind the curtains."
Thanks!
Tom Gauger

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

hi tom,

sounds like a nice coach. a few thoughts. take it for a drive. for as long of a drive as they will let you in as many conditions of road as you can. see if it drives smooth and straight and rides nice.

i am a big fan of getting fluid samples tested (both genny and main engine). there are a few folks on this forum that wish they had done that.

it is cheap to get oil, tranny, radiator, differential samples. i use the local cat lab and draw the samples myself.

look hard for any water intrusions. around windows, skylights, etc.

tires and batteries can run you 10k. easy. if you use agm batteries.

try as many of the systems as you can yourself.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

According to Newell factory, 110V compressor should cycle at 45 minutes or longer to be in spec. If it is cycling more often, there probably are some air leak issues. May not be a big problem. On our '92 when our 110V compressor would cycle that often, we had to repair or replace the transmission air shift module to fix the issue. Not a major job for competent bus/truck mechanic to do. Just not sure if the newer vintage uses same technology for transmission shifting.

Tom,

Welcome to the gang.

Bill keyed in on a common issue to almost all Newell owners. Chasing air leaks is a common pastime. It's not supercritical, but frequent pump cycling can put excess water in your tanks, and the pump wakes me up at night.

Take a look at the airbags for cracking or leaking. Soapy water works well here.

Pay attention to the door opening and closing. Sometimes the air mechanism for the door will require some TLC. Tom is your man on that one.

As others have said, just go through and run every system through it's paces.

Is the unit with a dealer or a private owner? When I bought my first Newell, the owner let me spend the night in it. I did the same when selling the coach. It was a great way to inspect the coach in a relaxed and methodical way.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-26-2016, 04:21 AM)Richard Wrote:  Tom,

Welcome to the gang.

Bill keyed in on a common issue to almost all Newell owners. Chasing air leaks is a common pastime. It's not supercritical, but frequent pump cycling can put excess water in your tanks, and the pump wakes me up at night.

Take a look at the airbags for cracking or leaking. Soapy water works well here.

Pay attention to the door opening and closing. Sometimes the air mechanism for the door will require some TLC. Tom is your man on that one.

As others have said, just go through and run every system through it's paces.

Is the unit with a dealer or a private owner? When I bought my first Newell, the owner let me spend the night in it. I did the same when selling the coach. It was a great way to inspect the coach in a relaxed and methodical way.

This Newell is offered by a Prevost converter as a consignment. The picture is a little muddy as the husband is said to be near end-stage in a bout with cancer. His wife is said not to be knowledgeable about the coach and is firm on a price of $525k which I feel is high based on comps.
As I said earlier, tires & batteries need to be replaced and I'd go with AGM's as I've had great success with them on the Monaco.
I've not had an opportunity to get under the coach to look at the bags and at other stuff, nor have I driven it. (I do have experience driving earlier Newell's (pre-steerable tag)...I will save that test drive when and if I get more serious.
Meanwhile, how important is taking a Newell back to "Mother" and forking over tremendous amounts of money for "Level One" or "Level Two" service? I'm told it's thorough, very good, but very expensive.
BTW, the converter is gently suggesting I consider an '06 Prevost Featherlite as an alternative at about the same price, but negotiable. 57k miles, clean body, news tires & batteries.

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

Some of us survive with infrequent trips to mother. Some are frequent fliers. It all depends on how handy you are, and what you are comfortable doing. I know that's not a definitive answer but it really depends on you and how much you learn about the coach.

I think you can gauge the answer with how much do you currently do on your present coach?

In my unasked for opinion, there are three coaches that are unbuyable. One, the owner is upside down. Two, the owner is out of touch with the market. Three, the owner has a sentimental attachment to the coach.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

How big of a hurry are you in to get the coach? We looked at getting a slide coach a few years back that was being offered in FMCA by a surviving widow. Asking was 145K, I told her that I did not feel comfortable insulting her with what I would be able to pay at the time, (around 95K). We later met some folks who had purchased the same coach from a dealer for around 100K a few months after it was originally being offered for sale. Based on dealings Fran's sister-in-law had with the same dealer in a similar situation, I am pretty confident that the widow probably sold it for +/- 80K to the dealer. Also, we met a couple at a Foretravel gathering a while back that had just purchased a 2yr old top of the line Foretravel from a surviving widow for 160K. He said that she told him "I sick and tired of all the low ball offers I'm getting and I just want to be done with selling it". As a matter of emotional attachment to things during a difficult time such as the passing of a loved one, folks often place an inflated price on stuff. The truth is potential buyers do not share the emotional attachment with the seller. You might want to make an offer you would be comfortable with and continue your search in the mean time. Had I done that earlier, we might be driving a little bit newer slide Newell today.

You might want to send the owner a non-insulting offer that you think is reasonable in writing with your contact info on it. Give it a few months and see if the sales guy doesn't call you. Make sure the sales guy passes the info on though he may be more interested in making a sale than a friend...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Call Newell, if the owner will give you permission, they can release to you history on the coach.. Can be very valuable.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701