You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fighting a Bad Air Leak!

Sayed,
Richard gave good advice about draining your air tanks and changing your desiccant filter.  Both of those are normal maintenance items.  Your Newell will probably have 10 or 11 air tanks!  Make sure all are being drained as moisture is not good for the air system.  I change my desiccant filter every two years and drain my tanks at every 5,000 miles or 6 months.  I drain my two wet tanks weekly.  My wet tanks are in the rr wheel well and my front compartment on the right side--only about 50% of Newells have the 2nd wet tank.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Very good advice to keep your air tanks dry. Not only because of the deleterious effects of water on the components but also any water will reduce the air volume. Then you have less air volume available to use so will increase the frequency of your compressor running.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I didn't know about draining air tanks otherwise I would have had them do it. Now, I have to add it to my list of things to be done when I visit Miami in June.

One of the big leaks they found was a check valve. That plus replacing the overflow valve at the 110V pumps and about half a dozen other small leaks cut down the pump cycle to about an hour and 25 minutes - certainly far from having two cycles per 24 hours, but much better than what I had.

My next question: how do you determine how often it cycles besides watching it?

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237
West Central Part of Michigan

sayed,
Are you saying with no usage (opening doors, etc) that the compressor is cycling every 1.25 hours? If so, that sounds pretty good.

Here's the best way I have found to measure cycle time:
Grab six beers, your fo favorite lawn chair, and a good book. Sit right by the compressor. If you get through all six beers before the compressor comes on, you are good! If you only get through three, don't panic. Drink the other three to make sure you didn't get a false alarm.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

You are very funny, Jason!

My crude way of finding the cycle time is to record the hour meter time, let us say at 8 a.m. Then 24 hours later read the hour meter of the compressor. Take the difference divide it by a single run time of the compressor. That would give you how many times the compressor ran in 24 hours.

Yes, the one hour and 25 minutes (1.42 hours) cycle time is when the coach is sitting without the use of any air activated feature.

BTW, none of this makes much sense before you have consumed a six pack!

Steve,
Even though you didn't directly answer my BIG question, but what you did say in your BIG answer makes sense. I only wish I were smart enough to do it the way you did!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Sayed,
I guess I missed what your question was.  Feel free to re ask it.  I thought you asked how you get a schematic of the air system of a Newell.  The answer is, since Newell does not provide it, you would have to make your own.  I have posted the schematic of MY Coach on the forum and yours would be very similar.

Consider coming to the GURU rally in Riudoso, NM from June 6th to the 10th.  Asking questions face to face sometimes leads to better answers.  You could make many contacts with Newell owners that will help you in the future.  Plus you will leave with a better understanding of your coach's systems which will allow you to make better choices for who services your coach and save you money in the long run.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(04-16-2016, 06:28 AM)rheavn Wrote:  Sayed,
I guess I missed what your question was.  Feel free to re ask it.  I thought you asked how you get a schematic of the air system of a Newell.  The answer is, since Newell does not provide it, you would have to make your own.  I have posted the schematic of MY Coach on the forum and yours would be very similar.

Consider coming to the GURU rally in Riudoso, NM from June 6th to the 10th.  Asking questions face to face sometimes leads to better answers.  You could make many contacts with Newell owners that will help you in the future.  Plus you will leave with a better understanding of your coach's systems which will allow you to make better choices for who services your coach and save you money in the long run.

Steve,
I very much appreciate your advice and valuable pointers. I have some other commitments in June. I have to be in Rochester, MN, on the 15 for a couple of days. After, I have an appointment at Miami, OK on the 20th. I need to be home as I have two daughters who are in high school during the rally.
I'll search and look at your schematics to see what I can learn. One of these days, I'm hoping a Newell Guru might be going by me so I can connect in person adn pick his brains. I have already learned a lot from this forum which I'm very grateful for.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

Sayed,
How far from Grand Rapids are you?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(04-16-2016, 09:24 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Sayed,
How far from Grand Rapids are you?

I'm about an hour from Grand Rapids. I live in Big Rapids.
Thanks.

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237

I picked up my coach from HMH last Friday and brought it home. Had it plugged in over night and recorded the hours on the AC Compressor. Twelve hours later the compressor had ran 2 tenths of an hour (12 minutes). that seemed excessive so I timed the cycles in about two hours and I had 32, 36 and 38 minutes respectively. This, of course, is with nothing running. The trip home was about 220 miles. Perhaps it developed some more leaks during the trip - hard to tell! Since it is parked inside, I have the AC compressors turned off. This week, I'm taking it to Grand Rapids to have two new front tires put on.
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions!

Sayed Hashimi
Previous owner of # 1237