You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Alternator voltage varies

my 50dn voltage varies from 12v to 14v.  i did all the tests that ELREG said to try and hopefully it is the voltage regulator.  

but....the original and all the delco remy replacements for the 12v regulator are no longer made.  but ELREG out of canada makes a replacement one i ordered and just got.  

i will put it on tomorrow and see for sure if it fixed my problem.  200 bucks is alot cheaper than 1200 bucks.  

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(07-10-2016, 04:28 PM)encantotom Wrote:  my 50dn voltage varies from 12v to 14v.  i did all the tests that ELREG said to try and hopefully it is the voltage regulator.  

but....the original and all the delco remy replacements for the 12v regulator are no longer made.  but ELREG out of canada makes a replacement one i ordered and just got.  

i will put it on tomorrow and see for sure if it fixed my problem.  200 bucks is alot cheaper than 1200 bucks.  

tom

I got one tom and it works great

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

I put it in today. But I only ran it for a couple of minutes. Seemed OK

Tom

Tom, please post the model and part number in case some of us have to replace ours.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The original was a Delco Remy   19020403

the elreg replacement is not listed on their web site so you have to call and ask for it.  it is   402-7698

they dont make it anymore or the one that replaces it.  

they still make the 24v version 

so, www.elreg.com   specializes in 50dn oil cooled alternators.  they have made their own exact replacment regulator.  

205 dollars delivered.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tom, Thats great information. Thank you!

While waiting for a replacement Echo Charge to arrive, I continued looking into the electrical closet under the hydraulic tank, trying to understand how all these were connected.
And I saw this rectangular aluminum block on my 701 with no marking showing a part number or the maker's name, front or back, except a few abbreviations: "VOLT ADJ", and "INCREASE".  And I have been wondering what it is and its purpose.

It took me a while to find out it's an alternator voltage regulator and landed on this thread. 

I know the regulator on my 701 is not broken because my chassis battery charges 14.1 V when the engine is running (when the coach is left sitting without the engine running for some time, voltage drops below 13v, and the failed Echo Charge does not charge - my main issue that I am still investigating).

What still puzzles me is a small plastic bag found at the back of the aluminum mount. Any idea what it is (shown in the 3rd photo below)? 
And do you find such a plastic bag with a small piece of metal inside behind it once you unscrew the four mounting screws?

I have attached a wiring diagram that I found on the Internet.

On Delco Remy website, two superseded replacement parts, 10457698 and 10503807, are all obsolete. Tom's substitute is the easy way to go if yours go bad.

Joe Zhao @ Greenville TX 75402
2004 Newell Coach 701, 45-8, 4 Slides, Front Entry
Detroit Diesel 60 w/DDEC, Allison 6-Speed AT, ZF Suspension w/Steerable Tag, ZF Auto Traction Control

Hi Joe,
I'm _not_ speaking from experience; rather, only looking at the documents you attached.

In the schematic you attached, it shows that piece is a jumper to connect the battery terminal to the Ignition "IGN" terminal (when using the explicit ignition relay rather than implicit current sensing, I assume).

In my previous life, that piece of metal was an electrical jumper, to be used on a terminal board.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

yes, a jumper for a different installation.

tom