You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HD Satellite Dish

this afternoon a buddy came by and we ran the cables for the new dish. i wanted another set of eyes on my measurements before i drilled a hole up front on the roof to run the new wires. the dish itself takes one coax and one set of control wires in a cable. i also ran a spare coax to the dish and 2, 14 gauge wires to the dish in case i wanted to put a light on it or a micro switch saying it is down or up. i drilled it just inside the front overhead passenger side cabinet. i also have to put coax connectors on.

i also ran a shielded cat5e along with 3, 14 gauge wires to a metal mount up front where i am going to attach the wifi repeater that michael talked me in to buying....ha he didnt have to talk very hard.

it was getting hot up on the roof of the coach so i still have to finish the wiring and secure it all tomorrow morning when it is cooler. hey, it was mid 80's today.

i will take some pictures in the morning.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

ok, i finished on the roof. i didnt want to screw the wire holders through the roof so i used what newell did on steve bares coach. the square stickem zip tie holders is what i used. i polished the roof where they stuck down (gee it looked really good i need to polish the whole roof) (after i polish my 90 all up for bill that is). and stuck them down 8" apart and then put the zip tie in and then used dicor self leveling sealant around the edges of the square things.

i used split loom over the cables just to provide some rv resistance from the brutal sun here. i know it will eventually deteriorate but i can replace it.

i also attached my wifi repeater on the roof. it is the rectangular thing zip tied with the humongo hvac zip ties on the metal platform.

i ran a ton of extra cabling in case i want to do anything else on the roof.

here are the pictures.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks great!
Where did you get the cable entrance for the hole you drilled?
I'll need to get one to run cat 5 for my wifi booster and antenna for Sleek.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

the clamshell came with the dish. i painted it white is all.

i think you can get them at camping world, but not sure

tom

Those square stickem zip ties are really cool....I guess I've lived over here too long...Had not seen anything like it..sure wish I had them last weekend up on the roof of the house with my coax cable.

One question Tom...I noticed the loop you made with the conduit running out from the dish...why, and how does it help?

Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

the loop is to have enough spare cable in case i have to put new ends on for some reason.

tom

ok, i made all the cables and routed all of them, borrowed my sons sat dish and wallah, i have hd satellite.

the dish locks on pretty fast, but i dont have alot to compare it to. my 90 it has been too long since i used the sat dish to remember. i will find out when i get it home to get it all ready for bill.

now i have to spend some serious time wire managing behind my front tv. i have added so much stuff that it is a real rats nest of wires.

tom

(03-23-2013, 04:55 PM)encantotom Wrote:  the loop is to have enough spare cable in case i have to put new ends on for some reason.

tom

I learn something new from you guys everyday! Thanks.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

i dont know if others put the spare cable or not, but like richard says, i overthink and over engineer everything.

tom

I learned many years ago (when I was working) to always run a spare cable and to have an extra length of wire.
Nice job Tom

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337