You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Valid vs HWH Slides

I'm just curious based upon the recent discussion of HWH slides, are the Valid slides any less prone to operational and seals problems?

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

To the best of my knowledge, there is no significant difference in seal issues between the two systems. The HWH slides are hydraulic while the Valid slides are electric operated.

The electric slides have the advantages of 1) no fluid leaks, 2) no long hoses to rot out, 3) less friction on Valid's ball bearing sliding surfaces, 4) no pistons to reseal and 5) separate motors for each slide so if a motor goes wonky it only affects one slide rather than having a pump goes out resulting in all slides becoming stationery.

Not sure what the disadvantages of the electric slides are unless you have very low batteries but that likely affects the HWH system controller also.

I am certain that some of those who have had both systems will jump in.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Any idea if the Valid slides have less leakage problems? I just can't imagine having 4 slides with leak problems! It keeps me up at night when it is raining worried about the LR slide leaking... The awning solved that pretty well...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

we have not had any problems with our valid slide leaking and have weathered some pretty good storms ....

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659

I would like to see a valid slide and see if the seal or leading/trailing edges of the slide room (metal part) are any different than the HWH. It seems like it needs a bead of silicone to keep the rain from getting next to the seal. We don't have leak problems since putting the awnings on but it really should not need them. Now that the weather is under 110degrees I am planning to re-seal the roof (screws) and add silicone to the slide to see if it will run the water off easier...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Adrian,

I have valid slides on my coach. Although I have had a slight amount of water in the coach during especially heavy downpours, it has not been a problem.

What are the screws you speak of? I have not seen any screws in the skins of non-classic Newell's. Maybe a previous owner was trying to solve a problem and used screws??

On long slides there is a support that supports the middle top that can get out of adjustment.

Have you identified where the water is coming in? Do you have creases in your seals at the corners?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I do not have toppers on my two 99 slides.  I have no leak problems and I have been in some really good storms and light hail.  The last one was in June at the Gurus rally. Having no toppers make it a lot easier to clean and polish the top of the slide.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

As a reference point, to the best of my knowledge, #645, a 2003, was the first Newell with a Valid electric slideout. The next 4 had HWH hydraulic slideouts and all Newells beginning with #650 (also a 2003) had Valid electric slideouts.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com