You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How I Connected Relays to A/Cs

Well, I ordered and received the relays. I want to mod the front AC before trying to figure out the dual rear unit. My front unit is a single compressor and the control pcb is half the size of the dual unit. I'm still studying the drawing and have a couple of questions. It looks like the fans still receive ac from the circuit board. And, it looks like 120 VAC input is still connected and the 120VAC that used to feed the compressor now feeds the external relays. So, the relays on the pcb still need to work to turn on the external relays. Am I getting this right?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

David,

Exactly! The logic stays on the board and all we are trying to do is to route the power from another source. The relays on the board now only actuate the relay which then takes power and sends it to the compressor.

Note that the board still needs to get power in order for it to do its job, but will not draw more than a few milliamps.

Since no-one has talked about a single compressor situation...can you provide some pics, model numbers etcetera?

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

David,

The only thing to add to what bill said is that the comp relay on the board now
Draws a fraction of an amp instead of 14 amps.

Also make sure that you wire comp 1 of unit 1 and
Comp 1 of unit 2 to opposite hot legs of the incoming power. That way the load stays as
Balanced as possible. Call if you need clarification 817 223 2056

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

To be specific, yes, the fans receive their power through the board.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Here are some pictures of my final install. I did not trust my skills, so I purchased the parts, and hired a friend who has a HVAC business. After looking at the diagrams from Chester and talking to both Richard and Bill at separate times, he got it, and did a professional install for not much money, and just in time, as one lead was already black but still worked.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Looks good Mike!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Nice touch using the water resistant pigtails!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(08-15-2017, 07:38 PM)Richard Wrote:  Nice touch using the water resistant pigtails!

My buddy (installer) had them from another job. They add an element of professionalism.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(08-15-2017, 06:27 AM)Richard Wrote:  David,

The only thing to add to what bill said is that the comp relay on the board now
Draws a fraction of an amp instead of 14 amps.

Also make sure that you wire comp 1 of unit 1 and
Comp 1 of unit 2 to opposite hot legs of the incoming power. That way the load stays as
Balanced as possible.  Call if you need clarification 817 223 2056

It will be a few days before I have time to do this, but I will call. Thanks.

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513

I finally have a moment to do this to my front, single AC unit. Just to make sure, I should tie all the neutrals together? Is there something that professionals use to do this?

David and Teresa Brown
1999 Coach 513