You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How I Connected Relays to A/Cs

Tested it tonight . Both relays are connected and passing 120V to compressors. It feels colder inside but it was over a 100 most of today just East of Dallas. I will let it run tonight, and then button up the relay circuit box and mount it in place. Thank you for all your help. #NewellGurus are amazing. Please ping me with questions. The last diagram (compact version) is what I used. I did have to swap the A1 / A2 on one relay to make the connector trigger. That wire pair may have been reversed since that is the one that melted the plug —the reason for the relays —and is now just 2 wires soldered to the circuit board in place of the melted plug, and melted wires.

1996 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Diesel Pusher / Onan 10Kw Generator
No Tow Vehicle Sad
Pontoon Boat at the Lake

You probably did, but just to make sure. Comp 1 runs on one hour leg(black) and comp2 runs on the other (red) to keep the loads balanced. If you have four units, then reverse the legs for
The second unit to keep the loads balanced

Glad you are cool now!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I just completed this mod today. Thanks to Chester for the pictures and Richard for the dummy resistant theory of installation of the mod. I also made sure the upper and lower circuits on each side did not use the same hot leg so the loads will be more balanced.
I was able to source contactors locally for $22 each. MCG Industrial PN: MDP30A-2P-120
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ICqJfXb...sp=sharing

These contactors have two circuits but I only used one side of the contactor. They also need a pretty tall enclosure vs. the short box I saw on Richard's coach. It is more expensive and water proof but the supply house had it on the shelf and I was able to mock up the inside of the box while in the store.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RQcZ0Xj...sp=sharing

The first side took me about 3 hours to complete. I took my time and checked things 3 times over before I snipped any wires.
The second time (1 week apart as I was awaiting parts) took me 2 hours to complete. Again I was working slow and methodical. The penalty for screwing up far exceeded the reward for finishing an hour early.

Thanks again to Chester, Richard and all those who added to this thread. Each entry was important to help me understand this.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

i have been meaning to do the relay mod on my coach for a long time.  i have had the relays for years.  

i had a knee replaced earlier this year and a few weeks ago injured a rib so i have been hobbling....but getting alot better.

richard and rhonda came and spent a week with us and richard and i caught up on most of the coach projects i have not been able to do myself this summer.  

this mod is one of them.  

something we added was led indicator lights for each compressor so you can look at the box and know if the compressor has power to it.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, led lights are a very nice touch. Power check at a glance.

That was @"bikestuff" addition to the modification. It’s on my “list”to go back and add them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

bill is a genius, so is richard

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH