You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VMS coach diag plug

Run the sniffer program and you will find out which gauges yours supports. Among others, you should have road speed, cruise control status, cruise control set speed (I like that one), Accelerator pedal position (%), output torque, engine oil pressure, boost pressure, engine coolant temperature, barometric pressure, fuel rate, battery potential (voltage), and engine speed. Seems there are a couple more but I forget offhand. Of course it can derive other items based on the information it can read.

The Silverleaf unit provides information that is much more precise than what the dash gauges read. I use the VMSpc as my primary instruments other than the few it doesn't duplicate such as air pressure readings and transmission temperature. I also set up two re-settable trip displays so I can monitor how many miles I have travel that day and since my last fill-up  and how many gallons of fuel I have used since I reset each one.

ON EDIT: 
I just found a file I created years ago when I ran VMSpc PID sniffer on my 8V92.
9 Rolling mpg, 10 acceleration, 11 braking, 12 peak acceleration, 84 road speed, 85 cruise status, 86 cruise set speed, 91 accelerator pedal position, 92 % engine load, 93 output torque, 100 engine oil pressure, 102 boost, 108 barometric pressure, 110 coolant temp, 111 coolant level (although I am not sure mine works properly), 168 battery voltage, 174 fuel temperature, 182 trip fuel, 183 fuel rate, 184 inst. fuel economy, 190 engine speed (tach), 247 total engine hours, 250 total fuel consumed, 509 Horsepower, 510 torque.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Also note that the barometric pressure is in psi so sea level would be about 14.7 psi which would be 29.92 inches of mercury (inHg) which is what a pilot would be used to using. It also does not adjust itself as you are driving down the road. The engine must return to idle for the barometric pressure to readjust itself and provide a new reading for the DDEC.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have attache a photo of the items I installed into my Silverleaf dash.  If you, or anyone, want a copy of the program, I can email it to you as an attachment.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Since Chester has a Series 60 so he has a few gauges that will not work with your 8V92. The transmission related items (gear selected, gear achieved and transmission temperature) will not work since the engine and transmission don't electronically communicate. I don't think the intake manifold temperature will work on an 8V92 either.

For those with a DD Series 60, Chester has a very nice layout.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Does anyone know of a way to differentiate between the 1708 and 1939 type networks. On the silver leaf site, they say that 2004 and newer engines use 1939.

I have square connector under dash and since my coach is 2003, I am thinking that I have 1708.

Thoughts?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I would suspect yours is 1708 since your coach was actually built during calendar year 2002. J1939 Deutsch connectors have 9 pins. J1708 have 6 pins so it should be easy to verify.

Oops, I just reread your post and you have the square connector. You may have to count the wires on the rear of the connector. The J1708 should have 4 wires and the J1939 should have 7 wires.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com