You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

keyless entry

Good afternoon,
could alone help me with programming the keyless entry pad on a 2008 coach,
in the internal cupboard above the door there is a door code reset button but i just don't know how it all works. i don't have the original code either.
the code panel in the door lights up when its pressed so it has power.
Thanks in advance
Rob

2008 NEWELL C-15 ZF 1218

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3362

this is the link for the Essex 1602 keyless entry that is on my 2002

it tells you how to program a new code in it and there is also the wiring instructions.

i reprogrammed mine, but i have a 2002. so you can see if yours is the same.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(02-26-2017, 08:48 AM)encantotom Wrote:  http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=3362

this is the link for the Essex 1602 keyless entry that is on my 2002

it tells you how to program a new code in it and there is also the wiring instructions.  

i reprogrammed mine, but i have a 2002.  so you can see if yours is the same.

tom

Thanks Tom,
I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know!
Cheers
Rob

2008 NEWELL C-15 ZF 1218

Tom helped me troubleshoot the keyless entry on our coach during a recent visit to his place.  We spoke to John at Essex at that time and with Tom's electric troubleshooting skills and John's knowledge base we determined that the keypad was the culprit not the module. I ordered a new keypad ($260 ouch) online.  The online photo showed one with the Molex quick connect available but when the part arrived there was no quick connect just the bare wires.  I called and spoke to John at Essex and he told me that the quick connects were special orders primarily for Monaco and apparently Newell got them too.  The quick connect wasn't readily available so John instructed me to preserve about 6" of wire attached to the quick connect and to go ahead and splice in the new keypad as the wiring colors have not changed during production runs.
He said the essential wires are:

RED-power
BLACK-ground
WHITE/RED STRIPE-unlock
WHITE/BLACK STRIPE-lock
YELLOW-program

in addition he indicated that BROWN, PINK, and VIOLET could be used for specialty applications like opening bay doors on some makes.

Now off to do the install.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

I pulled the old keypad off the door, carefully yesterday, Tom had suggested using a plastic razorblade to break the seal between the keypad and painted surface to avoid scratching the paint.  The foam seal was really stuck to the paint and adding a squirt of 3M adhesive remover really helped.  I ended up gingerly using a very sharp single edge razor blade which sped up the process.

The new keypad didn't have the Molex connector (according to Essex they were a custom manufacturer's order no longer supplied) so having a couple options, cutting and splicing the 12 individual wires or separating the Molex connector, cutting the wires from the connectors and soldering the new wires to the Molex pins I chose the latter.  First I marked the connector with a sharpie for orientation then identified each of the wire colors and the hole in which it belonged and wrote them down using the wife to verify the colors.  Little appreciated fact:  around 10% of men are red/green color "deficient".  I measured the length of the old cable then cut the new one to the same length then stripped 3/16" off the end of each wire.  Then cut the wires from the old keypad.  I noticed that the Molex connector actually separated into 2 parts, see photo, which allowed access to each pin and did not require a Molex Extraction tool ($25).   Careful extraction of each pin then cutting each old wire at the base of the pin allowed salvage of all the pins.  I threaded each new wire through the proper hole in the Molex base and was able to flux the wire and pin and solder the wire to the pin without adding significant bulk to the pin. This allowed each pin to be reinserted into the base of the Molex connector.  Looking back it may have been possible to solder the pins to the wires then insert them up into the Molex base until they clicked into place.  You might try and see if that works beforehand.  Reinserting the pins did take a little effort because each base hole is constructed of a 3 prong retention system.  Once the 12 soldered pins were inserted the top of the Molex connector was slid over the exposed pins orienting it with the marks previously placed on the 2 parts.  

So the steps in order are:

1. Carefully remove the old keypad and disconnect it
  2. Measure the length of the cable and cut the new cable to length
  3. Strip the wires on the new cable
  4. Document the position and colors of each wire as it enters the Molex connector
  5. Mark the Molex connector with a Sharpie for orientation
  6. Cut the old cable
  7. Separate the Molex connector
  8. Remove the pins
  9. Insert the new wires into the base of the Molex connector
  10. Flux wire and pins
  11. Solder each wire/pin
  12. Reinsert each pin into the Molex base
  13. Reattach the pin shield portion of the Molex connector to the base
  14. Reattach the Molex connection to the coach
  15. Reinstall the Keypad
  16. Program the Keypad
Instructions included with the Essex Keypad are very complete and include all the wire codes, function of each wire, and programming instructions.

Sandy and Bob McBratney

glad you got it to work. these keypads are pretty easy to troubleshoot once you know how they are wired and work.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yesterday I finally made it out to the coach to install the new keypad.  The new blue pad lit up right away.  I anxiously hit the program button inside the cupboard just inside the door and listened, silence.  Back to the drawing board.  I'll need to contact John at Essex next time I'm out at the coach to troubleshoot the wiring from the Molex connection to the control unit.  Drat!, I was so excited with anticipation of that keypad being functional again.

Sandy and Bob McBratney