You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Best VMSPC PC? plus bonus mounting question.

I ordered a VMSPC from Silverleaf today...but I am torn as to what to display it on or where to mount display.

I have a new Microsoft Surface Book that runs Windows 10 and has a couple of USB ports.  It is overkill for this, but can be setup like a laptop or like a tablet.

I know some others have Surface Pro tablets.  These are cheaper and lighter and could work.

Any thoughts about the ones you have used?

I also need to figure out a place to mount the display.  I know some have just tucked a tablet in front of dash gauges.  I am worried that I cannot see the display.  (I can barely see the gauges over the steering wheel).

I already have an iPad mini mounted to the right above the dash that runs the weather radar program I wrote.  

So, does anyone have a setup that they really like?

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I mounted mine where it obstructs only the clock.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ours is on an older laptop that just sits on the console on "no slip" material. Big enogh display that I can easily see it and can split to show GPS navigation program at same time.

Bill,

I run ours on an older netbook. It has about a 8 inch screen. I have it sitting on the middle of the console to the left of my sight line to the passenger mirror.

I have the speedo in a BIG block on the display. I use that instead of the factory unit which is harder for me to see.

I like the fact that the instrument display mounted up on the console does not require me to take my eyes very far from the road to scan.

Like Clint, I can also run Streets and Trips, but Rhonda is usually all over the Nav so I don't really need that.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Bill, here is the frame I constructed and the 12" Asus tablet which is very visible while driving.  It is easy to remove it to see the original dash gauges while traveling.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I also run mine on a 15.6" laptop on the center console on the thick non-slip drawer liner. I also use a HUD GPS speedometer so I don't have to look down to see my speed. I found that the HUD GPS speedometer could be velcroed to the top of the steering column so I can see the display on the windshield but the bright display unit isn't visible from outside the coach like it was when I had it mounted on the dash.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com