You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cable TV run

I need to run (2) Ethernet cables from outside the coach to the entertainment center above the driver. One is for internet and the other for TV over the Internet. My thought was to mount the Ethernet hub in the water and dump compartment on the drivers side where the coax cable TV hookup is. Does anyone know the cable path to the entertainment system area, and the easiest way to run new cables?

I also was thinking for ease of not having to run cables, about "Ethernet over power" adapters, which use the 120v power system as the cable plant for Ethernet. Anyone used these or other technologies to avoid running cables?
Thanks Mike

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike,

This is a dumb question...but on my 2003, those cables are already run. I took out the old router and tucked the ethernet cables into the ceiling of the bay you are talking about. I know that all Newells are different...but it might save some time.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have 567 which is a 2000 and when replacing the inverter, a cat 5 cable was required.  The cable was dropped through the floor in a closet into the bays below and routed over to the inverter.  The other end went to the remote keypad mounted in the panel that has the temp gauges and switching for aqua hot etc.  The layout of 567 provides a closet adjacent to the galley, it was in this closet the cable penetrated the floor.  The floor is several inches thick but a long drill (called a bell hanger bit) does a fine job. 

Once you open the panel containing the aqua hot controls, you can see a chase up in the corner where the roof meets the side wall.  Newell uses this as a cable chase from front to rear.  So, if you came from the tankage bay up through a closet into the chase, you could get to the front where the TV components are located.  It requires opening the storage compartments over the passenger side and removing a 90 degree panel covering the chase.  it is a tedious task but doable.  

I've run two cat 5's from front to the tv in back so HDMI (using a CAT 5 to HDMI balun) from the CD player could be run  on the TV in the back.  It was a nice weekend job with my sweetie and worth the effort.

Also, you could put a wireless access point in the tankage bay and program your devices to connect to it.

Just a few thoughts......

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Bill, I have been throughout the entertainment system trying to figure out the cable TV system as it was disconnected when I purchased the coach, and there are not any Ethernet cables up there. Likewise, I have done some work in the bay where the TV cable plugs into the coach, and while I was not specifically looking, I did not see any Ethernet cables there either, but I will certainly check it again!

Being in the internet business, Cisco Systems, my guess based on the vintage of your coach is that the previous owner installed them, not the factory, as during that time period DSL and Cable internet were the options and would not require Ethernet outside the coach. Fiber to the curb, is usually when you see Ethernet outside going from coach to pole where it is converted from fiber to Ethernet. Although, as you stated "no 2 coaches are alike" so definitely possible as a factory option, I just would not expect it as a mainstream option till the last 5 years.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Gordon, thank you for the detailed description of your installation. I will check out how it applies to my coach this weekend as I have the bath and 1/2 layout.

The access point in the basement was one of my ideas just for Internet if the signal is strong enough after penetrating the floor. However, the RV park we are going to this summer for 2 months provides both internet and TV over separate Ethernet cables. Thus, I need at least 1 Ethernet cable to the entertainment system area because they provide the TV box to change channels with an Ethernet input.

This brings me to another question as I am not up on TV technology especially how to adapter my factory system to newer technology. My coach still has the original TV monitor and Morance home theater switching system. How do you convert from HDMI to the RCA jacks?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Jim,

A previous owner took a practical approach to circumventing the Newell original cabling. They simply went into the generator blower bay and using a long bit like Gordon suggested drilled up. If you look by the passenger side you will likely find a square tube covering some wiring and a heater hose. Mine has a couple of screws buried in the carpet holding it to the floor and wall.

From there they snaked the cable through the dash and up and inside the windshield pillar into the area where the entertainment connection resides.

If I need cable this is the connection I use.

The struggle for me, is that originally our era coaches used an elaborate switching system to connect TVs, cable, and the VCRs. Today of course all the TVs have multiple inputs eliminating the need for the switching box but the byzantine cable runs used originally have vexed me so I just bypassed it all.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Jim,  
check MCMelectronics.com ,  they sell baluns to convert nearly all forms of services to another.  I think you are wanting to convert HDMI to video and audio for you older TV.  I searched and found these options: 

http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/se...20Rca&rk=7

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I am considering the "Total Vision" rear view camera system, but I am hesitant due to the requirement to run a new cable from back to front. It is difficult for me to figure out how to run it through the inside, and to run it through the bays, I have to deal with the rear axles. Any ideas?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

howdy,

i ran a zillion feet of cat5e, hdmi, coax in both my 90 and 2002. since i was doing so much i tore all the valences, window covers, off.

i ran front to rear, bays to front, bays to rear etc.

it took alot of time but i essentially rewired everything to modern standards and the ability to switch and route everything that i wanted.

i even ran a cat5e from the inverter in the bay to the control panel over the driver in case i ever need to replace the inverter.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I've done the same and the only problem I had in my '98 was getting the wires through the valence in the toilet room. Everywhere else it was easy, just remove the curved panels at the side wall to roof junction. Even in the kitchen cabinets those panels remove easily.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337