You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Muffler replacement

Les,
Not a stupid question at all. I don't normally buy parts from Newell as I find their handling charge expensive. I did not find any one who carries this muffler except Newell. I suspect they have Stemco make it for them. I looked for one that would bolt right up without redoing the hangers, but found none. If you find a muffler match aftermarket please post for me & others.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(11-18-2012, 03:41 PM)Gordon Wrote:  I just purchased a muffer & air filter from these people.
Good pricing & follow up
http://filterspro.com/results.cfm?searchfor=P524838

Gordon,
I need new muffler ( ours is cracked about 75% around the one end of it!
Wanted to ask you how would I know what replacement to get for my 2oo1 coach ?

We are replacing leaking radiator and charger so perhaps will be good time to replace muffler and be done with!

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les,
In my search for a muffler, I've found that StemCo, maker of my original muffler, sold off its muffler division a while back to Walker exhaust products.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

http://www.donaldson.com/en/exhaust/supp...061237.pdf

Les

The above link is to the Donaldson Exhaust Catalog. It's a large file, 193 pages, but gives you all the info you will need to find a part# for your muffler, or any exhaust components. The mufflers start on page 60 or so.

Measure your old muffler, including the size & position of the inlet & outlet and out. Once you have the Donaldson #, you'll be able to cross it to what ever is available.

Also check your clamps, the're pretty inexpensive, & are usually replaced when a muffler is.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

Great inf as always , Thanks you guys1 after driving another 1000 miles or so , thsi muffler si in bad shape! i event noted some clear smoke coing of it!
Trying to find best place to work on our coach in Mesa area ( radiators, muffler and perhaps brakes )

Problem was we have two big dogs and wanted to stay on the side since looks like we will be only 3 days or so there .
I found two Newell recomended places so far in Phoenix/Mesa area :
Williams Detroit in Phoenix
East Valley i Apache Trail ( weare leaning towards thsi one )

I met couple from Ontario , Canada here in Tucson they have nice 2012 King Aire ( Newmar )
He is car colector, Lotus, Graham, Porshe 61, 62 and many more cars, I have mentioned to him about teh radiator leak and he said several his cars had smal leaks and he was able to fix the problem using small botlle of peper!!! he said that peper did seald some 4 radiators on his cars !!

Just put full bottle and no leaks! I wish i knew that before , but again , my wife is the one freaks out and want to have perfect coach ! so we are talking to Larry at Atlas radiators and ordering charger/radiator I think we will sleep better knowing we have new parts in it and most important, since we bought the coach last year, we do not know when the coolant been replaced last time?

Having new parts and new radiator,charger and new collant floating trough it will be brand new system!

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, I have used Williams & Williams Detroit in Tucson for many years, and they have always been fair and competent. I assume you will find the same service at their shop in Phoenix. Tom uses the following: All Aboard America Bus Shop,
Leo is the service manager, ask for him and tell him Tom sent you
230 South Country Club Drive Mesa, AZ 85210
(480) 222-6940

Since I have the same year coach, please post the muffler part number when you determine what it is. Thanks and good luck with your repairs.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Been checking om mufflers, brands etc. I checked with Donaldson and Nelson and both donth have the shape of our muffler and we have to go trough the distributor if the have to custom build! Our muffler is 36" long with top inlet and side tail pipe out muffler is flat shape of about 13" abd 4 ' height

I called williams in Tucson, they can only instal Newell Muffler , they dont instal any aftermarket mufflers!

No win situtaion only Newell muffler like so far , was hoping bewteen new Radiator, muffler we might be able to save buck or two , looks like Newell brand only.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les,
I don't understand the statement that the shop will only install Newell mufflers. I doubt that Newell had the muffler custom made. Anyway,
if you'll recheck page 80 on that Donaldson catalog, you might find what you need ?

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

(01-18-2013, 03:50 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Les,
I don't understand the statement that the shop will only install Newell mufflers. I doubt that Newell had the muffler custom made. Anyway,
if you'll recheck page 80 on that Donaldson catalog, you might find what you need ?

Chester mentioed that Williams & williams in tucson will do the job, so I did call them today and the service guy have said;
We can put new muffler for you but has to be Newell , otherwords from Newell ( I would think is after market co who makes mufflers for Newell ) not sure why they would not take muffler I got from third party? its their policy perhaps!

What mess ! we are trying to save some money with radiator, muffler, brakes and just not working , haha! oh well, will wait till thsy call me in day or two and what they say!

I was thinking patching it , but looks like might not work? its like 75% crack

Les

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, after looking at the pictures you posted on Dec. 22nd, I would bet that the welder here in San Carlos that rebuilt my muffler can rebuild yours. For the cost of a new one, it may be worth a try. I understand you are in Tucson which is 300 miles from me. If you could get the muffler removed, I could meet you 1/2 way and take the muffler to my welder. How long will you be in Tucson?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica